The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

WinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds

+38
greenworld
scarface
alecuba16
qbert79
foobar
BrianValentine
ntuser1
phox13
Y314K
geblex
Echap
taso
Mesen
xuke771
aymaliev
home7ech
Forseti
erio
kiai
kabino
pricecaptain
ltGuillaume
rami7250
roguebert
highend
exe98123q
babyboom666
Torrentus
tistou77
KrX
welkin
billybully
spidernz
savale
parapher
zuardin
pedilover
winterstorm2050
42 posters

descriptionWinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds - Page 9 EmptyRe: WinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds

more_horiz
KrX wrote:
<Element Category="Remove - Fonts" Name="Meiryo" Selected="OK" />
Windows\Fonts\meiryo.ttc
Windows\Fonts\meiryob.ttc
are still present (18,3 Mb)

parapher wrote:
Is that because 'protect MS office' is enabled?

Yes, that's exactly that, and I improve it (forgot to mention it in the "WinReducer 8.1 Database" from the website). Thank you for your feedback !

descriptionWinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds - Page 9 EmptyRe: WinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds

more_horiz
Hey guys,

Just to inform you that the new removing process is working much better than I expected ...

So, if I remove all "Accessories" and "Fonts" :

- Old removing engine : it took me 5 min. 50 sec.

- New removing engine (with new extreme speed profile activated  Wink ) : 1 min. 36 sec.

==> 72% of removing speed improvement !

As mentioned some days ago, I will release a test build, this week-end, just for you my friends !

Very Happy

more_horiz
Wow this is an amazing progress Winterstorm, great work!!  Cool

more_horiz
Holy crap, great job, man. I hope this new process works way better than the other one.

EDIT: KrX and torrentus, over the last days I've been testing a lot of images (made about 9 images), and I've come up with an exciting result. I will inform you guys later this day, as I will get home in around 10 hours.

EDIT 2: Sneak peek. Here's the LINK to download my configuration files used in every program.

more_horiz
Thanks guys ! And I will continue improving it a little bit to reach 80% of speed compared to the old removing engine ...  Smile

more_horiz
When will we get to try it? bounce

more_horiz
I will release it in 2 days, just because I need to work on the new option to configure the new removing process and some cleanup improvements ...

This will be v2.99.2.0 (alpha) ... it will be a complete version, but only "Accessories" and "Fonts" will have the new removing process. Because I need your feedbacks before updating all other components ... And just for information, I will also update WinReducer 8.1 (in June) with this new removing process !  Wink 

I will post a screenshot later today to show you this new option to configure the new removing process ...  Very Happy

more_horiz
As I promised, you could have a look on the new removing window GUI design :
WinReducer 7.0 - FINAL Builds - Page 9 Remove10

And as you could see, I've also added help tips to improve information about which profile fits the best for your hardware ! (you see the one for "Extreme" optimizations)

more_horiz
That seems very interesting, man, haha. Can't wait to see what's that about.

@KrX and torrentus: OK, guys, look. I managed to get my ISO size down to 573.41 MB and my install.wim file is 507.58 MB. iTunes installs great, the slim .NET Framework installs great, and all my software works great too (for some reason, SetACL does not work though). There's one more thing I want to improve though... the Manifests folder.

I removed all the files KrX said in one of my multiple install.wim files (that install.wim file was 497.49 MB), and my software didn't work properly. I currently have 6484 items in there, and I don't like that number.

I will try to search and destroy more unneeded manifests while keeping my system fully functional.

That was everything I wanted to say.

See ya.

more_horiz
I tried the remove scripts by KrX and it breaks various things for me too. 

( About WinReducer proper: ) There is one thing I noticed with the 1.6gb install.wim I mentioned earlier (x64) and it's a minor but puzzling thing. When I load it in VirtualBox, certain settings don't get retained after reboots. For example, after installing the Guest Additions you can resize the VB window for any particular VM; but when I reboot the size reverts to the small 800x600. Another thing I noticed is it doesn't retain settings for program windows; for example, when I open notepad and resize it, and place it in the left corner of the screen, after a reboot (or sometimes 2 reboots, etc.) it reverts to its default size and location. And this only happens on the WinReducer'd install.wim. Personally I'm thinking it could be the WinSxS cleaning I applied, but it could be something else.

more_horiz
@Billybully and Krx I found a lot more files ( about 1000 ) to remove on my Micro edition, it reduced my ISO about 50 MB smaller. My install.wim is 545 MB big. I need to test if everything is working properly and if so I will give you the list. It would be great to compare it with yours Billybully maybe we both can find even more files to remove...

more_horiz
Great news, man. Can't wait to see that list.

more_horiz
CLOSING : v2.99.1.9 - End of Feedbacks and Support posts !

more_horiz
STARTING : v2.99.2.0 - Begin of Feedbacks and Support posts !

It includes the new removing engine which is working wonderfully well on my machine, and here is the result :

- OLD REMOVING ENGINE :  Time needed : 14 min. 05 sec. // ISO size = 2.12Gb

- NEW REMOVING ENGINE : Time needed :   3 min. 50 sec. // ISO size = 1.96Gb

So new removing engine is 72% faster than the old one and decrease the size by 160Mo !!!

(Based on the benchmark named "Benchmark_Preset.wccf" available in the zip package -- Only "Accessories", "Fonts", "Gadgets" and "Languages" have been updated with the new removing engine)

I will add, in the next days, support for the new removing engine for many new components !!!  Very Happy 

CHANGELOG :

more_horiz
Thanks for this new version Smile

You have added the option that I asked?
I wait this one to do my WIndows Smile

more_horiz
Sorry, for the moment no, but I will try to add it in the next build my friend !  Very Happy 

more_horiz
Ok thanks winter for your great job Smile

more_horiz
You are welcome !

Could you please try v2.99.2.0 if all languages have been removed. Thanks !

more_horiz
Ok, no problem, i'll try it Wink

more_horiz
Thanks !

more_horiz
Guys, as soon as I finish updating all components with the new removing engine, I will start working on the expert options, so I count on you !  Very Happy 

more_horiz
Winter, I think it removed all languages for me, thanks!

Last night I did another Win7 x64 slimming (mild) where I only removed stuff like Nat Lang, Speech, Tablet PC, Recovery stuff, Accessibility, some fonts and drivers, etc., but the goal was to keep a pretty functional and features OS that most people wouldn't know was slimmed. This is what I used to do with vLite until it started being troublesome to use on updated images.

Anyway, just removing those components and then removing the NativeImages2 folders from Windows\assembly (which will regenerate by themselves and are safe to remove) saved me 1.1gb on the install.wim. This is without removing WinSxS stuff which is a bit too detrimental for daily use systems in my opinion. This made my fully updated install.wim (with 500 updates applied) smaller than the original SP1 install.wim! And I tested it in a VM and run reg cleaners and it seems to be a better and cleaner slimmed .wim than the ones I used to make with vLite! Great work, winter Very Happy

BTW, if you want to make updated images or find the best source for Windows updates, try "Windows Hotfix Downloader" (see http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/44645-Windows-Hotfix-Downloader-7-4).

more_horiz
Hey Parapher,

OK, sounds good ... Thank you for your feedback !

I'm currently working on trying to fix some bug I discovered with v2.99.2.0 ...

EDIT : In the next v2.99.2.1, I will update the "Expert - Net Framework Cleanup" to only remove "NativeImages" folders, to be safer than previous builds !

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hey Parapher,

OK, sounds good ... Thank you for your feedback !

I'm currently working on trying to fix some bug I discovered with v2.99.2.0 ...

EDIT : In the next v2.99.2.1, I will update the "Expert - Net Framework Cleanup" to only remove "NativeImages" folders, to be safer than previous builds !

Thanks, I think those NativeImages_v2.0.50727 (_32 and _64) folders removal is a good thing so thanks for the change.

Some little things/bugs I noticed with the above-mentioned reduction with WR v2.99.2.0:

EDIT: (I think I was wrong about these, I think I forgot to remove this via Remove->Control Panel in WR):

- Ease of Access item in Control Panel is still listed even though Ease of Access itself was removed

- Recovery item in Control Panel is still listed even though Recovery itself was removed

more_horiz
The former items I mentioned got resolved, so no problem there. But I did find some little bugs:

- when 'Sticky Notes' is removed there remains a shortcut for it in the start menu (2 locations: recently opened and Accessories)
- when 'Ease of Access' is removed, an empty folder for it remains in start menu (Accessories\Ease of Access)
- when Help has been removed, shortcut to 'Help and Support' remains in start menu (Maintenance) (it won't work 'encountered a problem' when starting so shortcut should probably be removed)

EDIT:
- (in one test) when Windows Mobility Center is removed a leftover shortcut for it is still present in the start menu (Accessories) [shortcut value: %windir%\system32\mblctr.exe /open]

EDIT2:
- when 'Games Explorer' is removed, it seems to also break games in general. I retained the 2 Solitaires and Mahjong on the images I used, but when I removed Games Explorer, the games wouldn't work. then I did another test with the same settings but with Games Explorer not removed, and the games worked.

more_horiz
Hey guys,

I will release the v2.99.2.1 in less than 2 days, with many new improvements, especially all Features have been updated using the new removing process.  Very Happy 

@parapher : I will see for games explorer. Thank you !

more_horiz
Thanks, sounds good winter Smile

more_horiz
winter add the list of components remover of RT7-Booster v4.68.202 to version 3.0, please

PD: sorry for my english

more_horiz
babyboom666 wrote:
winter add the list of components remover of RT7-Booster v4.68.202 to version 3.0, please

Could you please tell which one are missing in WinReducer 7.0 v2.99.2.x ? Thanks ...  Smile

more_horiz
CLOSING : v2.99.2.0 - End of Feedbacks and Support posts !
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum