The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

WinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion)

+73
parapher
Jpm
livingsilver94
demo71
pricecaptain
Mr.T
waldi84
pedilover
xuke771
T3st3r
leom81
castillo92
Alphonso Elric
freak.vulgar
Archimede
gougitany1
ffrules
neoss
dany00711
Cyber2000
FAFAŁ
test55
Cryoniq
YubiGalaxy
lss7777
muharremerd
aymanalz
bart3lon
websun
scottallthefriends
brazilcoco
ruby2hora
~BSOD~
yselimk
zumoc
aydentist86
Greatmetal
burt88
caphp
ziloth
Blaireau
Karolina
bymax
Ducco
mido26683
hclarkjr
Intelmaster
NODeath
slickric21
xmasivex
mrpotter2510
Veki385
sc7es
rafa9009
seiferflo
MrosPros
Niko
bay12
savale
dave999
billybully
gjoyal
carlese
spidernz
lucaskent
amin20
KrX
panman
inallsorts
theKramer
tupac4u
mau370
winterstorm2050
77 posters

descriptionWinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion) - Page 16 EmptyRe: WinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion)

more_horiz
billybully wrote:
I solved the "Other user" issue with a vLite unattended file, lol. Dunno how that worked, but it did.
i tested your file and it didnt work for me, but i did a bit testing and figured out that

ModernUI - Immersive Control Panel

is breaking the link to create a new user. befor removing i can create a new user but after remving it the link dont work

ALSO

Tablet PC (Engine)

is breaking snipping tool and sticky notes (again after removing ONLY this there 2 things dont work)

descriptionWinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion) - Page 16 EmptyRe: WinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion)

more_horiz
Yeah also the sticky note. Maybe.  Like in windows 7 and 7lite at the first period .
After preserved some file in the subsequent versions.

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
It could be that ... Wink 

And WinReducer 8.1 v0.99.1 will be released tomorrow with all gui themes available ....
Very Happy
Looking forward to It's release.

Once tested, I shall post the outcome.
Thanking you.

more_horiz
donot remove font cache it need to install Msoffice 10 and 13 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing

more_horiz
Hey guys,

What an amazing job you are doing, I will integrate all your work, and I've tested some things :

- inallsorts : OK !

- KrX and Billybully : I confirm That "Immersive Control Panel" breaks "Other User", so you need to keep it if you want this functionality (and also need to keep "Services - Windows Store" or activate  preset "Protect ModernUI Apps" to keep the possibility to launch all ModernUI Apps)

- dave999: I've added "remove font cache" in the Preset "Protect MS Office", thank you !

- Zumoc and KrX : I've fixed "snipping tool" while removing "Tablet PC (engine)", but I need to look after "sticky note". "Sticky Note" fix should be added in v0.99.1 ...

- BillyBully : I'm sorry but I've tested VL ISO and it worked. This is what I have : a "VMware Player virtual machine" with a complete Windows 8.1 Pro x64 to reduce ISO. I will try on a physical disk a reduce an ISO with winreducer to validate if it works, so I will let you know ...

Very Happy

more_horiz
I think in windows  tweaking section need to divide in to subject wise like  explorer , system, appearance ....... so better to manage it cause i think still 20+ tweak will going add ....

more_horiz
Dammit!! Evil or Very Mad Well... Thank you, anyway, Winter. I support @dave999. Having more than 60 tweaks without any division can cause some confusion among users. I think you should get the tweaks out of the Reducer tab and give them a tab of their own Very Happy.

more_horiz
Well! I will try the new release quickly... Thank you.

more_horiz
Wow great findings guys! I know how hard it is to find out what breaks things.
@Winter: Looking forward to the next release! It's getting an awesome 1.0 release for sure Cool

more_horiz
Guys after i stripped down the windows 8.1 pro the search function stopped working. Can any of you please help me. Here is my customization file 
http://www.mediafire.com/view/fuxy1m7q383k6z2/WinReducer81.wccf

more_horiz
lucaskent wrote:
Guys after i stripped down the windows 8.1 pro the search function stopped working. Can any of you please help me. Here is my customization file 
http://www.mediafire.com/view/fuxy1m7q383k6z2/WinReducer81.wccf
hi lucaskent.
Thats a known issue.
You have to keep Natural Languages, at least.
Im not sure if you need to keep anything else, besides "Search" itself Smile

more_horiz
Thanks @Thekrammer. I will test it out. Its really strange i did set the search preset on yet it broke down Sad
I will leave the natural language unchecked and test it out.

more_horiz
Hello guys,

Here is the temporary changelog for v0.99.1 :
* NEW
- “Multimedia - Windows Optical Character Recognition (OCR)”

* UPDATED
- English language file to v0.99.1
- “WinReducer GUI Themes” download link : Redirected to the website page
- “Database Information” link : Redirected to the website page
- “Protect ModernUI Apps” : Automatically protect all needed components
- “Protect Windows Search” : Automatically protect all needed components
- “Tweaks - Recycle Bin - Enable Confirmation Dialog “ : Rename to “Tweaks - Recycle Bin - Enable Confirmation Dialog” because in Windows 8.1, it’s disabled by default

* FIXED
- “Remover Tab” : Fix “Select all checked” for Tweaks and Optimizations
- “Accessories - Notepad” : Break text file Explorer preview panel
- “Accessories – Tablet PC (Engine)” : Break Snipping Tool and Sticky Notes
- “Accessories - Windows Mail” : Break Explorer preview panel
- “Accessories – Natural Languages” : Improve removing because it could break Windows Search
- “Multimedia – Photo Viewer” : Improve Remove cleanup (completely remove the integrated image viewer)
- “Optimizations – Windows Unneeded Files Cleanup” : Break ModernUI Apps
- “Tweaks - Explorer - Remove Shortcut Arrow”
- “Tweaks - Explorer - Show Hidden Files and Folders”
- “Tweaks - Explorer - Show Hidden System Files”
- WinReducer GUI Themes support
--> As you could see many bugs have been solved ! Especially Explorer preview pane, snipping tool and sticky notes ... I'm working now on windows search ... Wink 

--> I've also created a new website page where you will find all resources about components dependency (winreducer components and/or necessary files) to run properly windows functionalities you need .. You will find the link in the start tab in winreducer remover (database information) or in the forum when it will be available ...

--> All GUI themes will also be available, so you could try to add new GUI style ... If you want to use them you need to update WinReducer to v0.99.1 otherwise you will have errors and instabilities ..

Very Happy

more_horiz
I really like the changelog. As soon as there is a download link I will test the changes

more_horiz
Natural Languages checked for removal but was not removed.
i left speech, wanted to install ivona TTS later..

more_horiz
Search is broken both in File Explorer and in Modern UI. Searching in the File Explorer window (dedicated search field in the upper right corner) needs Windows Search service to be running. The search option in the Modern UI start screen, where you can simply start typing any name of a file, program, etc. and see the results pop up, is not dependent on the Windows Search service - I use it on my computer (Win 8.1 Pro N x86) with the service disabled.
Also, I think the search problem is actually not related to Natural Languages. In my testing it is related to Languages removal - maybe it's too "aggressive". If I remove all Languages ONLY - with nothing else checked - search becomes broken. On the other hand, removing most other components but leaving Languages results in working search, both in File Explorer and Modern UI.

I've noticed another problem with the recent version. It seems to me that the cleaning of Net Framework 4.5 is now too "aggressive". Some programs that rely on Net Framework 4 (e.g. Advanced Token Manager) do not work anymore. I managed to make it work by adding  the "GAC_32" subfolder (from another fully working Windows 8.1 computer) to the "Microsoft.NET\assembly" folder.

In my opinion, our main objective should be a FULLY working OS with all the unnecessary bloat removed. It is not the sort of "my Win 8.1 installation is only a couple of gigabytes" competition. Maybe it would be worthwhile to do something similar to Blackviper's Windows 7 services configuration, with "safe", "tweaked" and "barebones" Winreducer setups? Just a thought to consider...

more_horiz
Hi winterstorm, exactly which files or folders will be deleted when we choose a language to remove? i tried to delete manually all languages folders except "en-US" in system32, syswow64, Boot\EFI & Boot\PCAT and windows search works good Neutral
And 1 thing more, i think the preset protect windows search when removing Natural Language doesn't work the best way, I also tried to delete all Nlsdata*.dll, NlsLexicons*.dll, NL7*.dll and prm*.dll except prm0009.dll (English Natural Data and Code) in system32 and syswow64, and windows search still work. I thing maybe we just need to keep the specific files for the languages we keep Smile

more_horiz
@bart3lon: I think you are right about framework 4, so I've revert the removing of "GAC_32" ... About that I created an extreme removing component in "Optimizations" for people interested (like me Wink) to remove many things (like WinSXS cleanup) ... Like this users will have the choice to test this or not, with all depending consequences !

And about search, for the moment I'm not able to reproduce a bug, so continue digging ... Very Happy

more_horiz
hey winterstorm2050

i got every time this window befor installing:

WinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion) - Page 16 5k5fu6qn

i solved it with this lines in <settings pass="windowsPE"> and <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup"

Code:

<WindowsDeploymentServices>
                <ImageSelection>
                    <InstallImage>
                        <ImageName>Windows 8.1 Pro</ImageName>
                    </InstallImage>
                </ImageSelection>
</WindowsDeploymentServices>
i got it on top of

Code:

<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
        <ProductKey>
could you add that (together with the password lines) in a future release?

EDIT:

i also tried this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc722012%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

to set the pagefile but every time i get this error

WinReducer 8.1 (Old discussion) - Page 16 36xyr4jt

and i dont know why...

more_horiz
KrX wrote:
hey winterstorm2050

i solved it with this lines in <settings pass="windowsPE"> and <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup"

Code:

<ImageSelection>
                    <InstallImage>
                    </InstallImage>
                </ImageSelection>
i got it on top of

Code:

<ProductKey>
WinReducer already have this, u can try to use "Accept EULA", "Hide Boot Image Selection" and "Serial Number" in "Unattended" tab

more_horiz
mrpotter2510 wrote:
KrX wrote:
hey winterstorm2050

Code:

<ImageSelection>
                    <InstallImage>
                    </InstallImage>
                </ImageSelection>
i got it on top of

Code:

<ProductKey>
WinReducer already have this, u can try to use "Accept EULA", "Hide Boot Image Selection" and "Serial Number" in "Unattended" tab
i meant to integrate the first code (not the second with accepteula and product key)

and i used all settings in Unattended Tab but this window is still shown, just after using the first code is was skipped

more_horiz
KrX wrote:
i meant to integrate the first code (not the second with accepteula and product key)

and i used all settings in Unattended Tab but this window is still shown, just after using the first code is was skipped
So the "Hide Boot Image Selection" option doesn't work? Neutral Sorry I never try Unattended tab before because I had my own autounattended file Neutral

more_horiz
Hello all,

@mrpotter2510:
In Windows 8.1, it should work if you use "<ImageName>Windows 8.1 Pro</ImageName" instead of "<Index>1<Index>" (example for Windows 8.1 Professional) ... And for me, it works great

@KrX:
. For the Setup OS Selection, it works for me, just a small question : are you sure to check "Unattended - Hide Boot Image Selection" ? If yes, please remember me which ISO you are using, thanks !
. For Setup Accept Eula, it already possible to skip it it you check "Unattended - Accept EULA" ...
. For password skip, I tried yesterday but it seems to don't work for me, the installation will finish with an error ...
. For pagefile size : it seems that only works for WinPE and not Windows : "This setting applies only to the Windows PE page file, and not to the page file of the Windows installation" (Source).

Very Happy

more_horiz
Hi WinterStorm, What your facebook name?

more_horiz
@winterstorm: no, I used these lines and it works for all editions (for VL edition, u need to remove the key) Very Happy 

Code:

<ImageInstall>
                <OSImage>
                    <InstallFrom>
                        <MetaData wcm:action="add">
                            <Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>
                            <Value>1</Value>
                        </MetaData>
                    </InstallFrom>
                    <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                </OSImage>
            </ImageInstall>

Anyway, that's KrX's problem, not mine Very Happy

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hello all,

@mrpotter2510:
In Windows 8.1, it should work if you use "<ImageName>Windows 8.1 Pro</ImageName" instead of "<Index>1<Index>" (example for Windows 8.1 Professional) ... And for me, it works great

@KrX:
. For the Setup OS Selection, it works for me, just a small question : are you sure to check "Unattended - Hide Boot Image Selection" ? If yes, please remember me which ISO you are using, thanks !
. For Setup Accept Eula, it already possible to skip it it you check "Unattended - Accept EULA" ...
. For password skip, I tried yesterday but it seems to don't work for me, the installation will finish with an error ...
. For pagefile size : it seems that only works for WinPE and not Windows : "This setting applies only to the Windows PE page file, and not to the page file of the Windows installation" (Source).

Very Happy

im using Windows8.1 Pro x64 (no VL or N)
its strange, im sure i selected all things in unattended but the Hide Boot Image Selection was deselected after loading my preset.

i dont get an error because of the password skipping.

winterstorm i get something (bug or wanted) what annoys me

when i select an wccf and than  i deselct something (e.g. All settings just wanted test unattended tab) and hitting Apply, winreducer is doing all tasks from the wccf (reducing, services etc)

her now my final xml (works great)

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--File generated by WinReducer 8.1 created by winterstorm2050 from www.winreducer.net-->
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
  <settings pass="windowsPE">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <SetupUILanguage>
        <UILanguage>de-DE</UILanguage>
      </SetupUILanguage>
      <UILanguage>de-DE</UILanguage>
      <UserLocale>de-DE</UserLocale>
      <SystemLocale>de-DE</SystemLocale>
      <InputLocale>0407:000000407</InputLocale>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <ImageSelection>
                    <InstallImage>
                    </InstallImage>
                </ImageSelection>
  <UserData>
        <ProductKey>
          <Key>MY SERIAL YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYy</Key>
          <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
        </ProductKey>
      </UserData>
    </component>
  </settings>
  <settings pass="oobeSystem">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <Display>
        <HorizontalResolution>1280</HorizontalResolution>
        <VerticalResolution>960</VerticalResolution>
        <ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
        <RefreshRate>60</RefreshRate>
        <DPI>96</DPI>
      </Display>
      <UserAccounts>
  <AdministratorPassword>
                 <Value></Value>
                 <PlainText>true</PlainText>
       </AdministratorPassword>
        <LocalAccounts>
          <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
  <Password>
                         <Value></Value>
                         <PlainText>true</PlainText>
           </Password>
            <Name>KrX</Name>
            <DisplayName>KrX</DisplayName>
            <Group>Administrators</Group>
          </LocalAccount>
        </LocalAccounts>
      </UserAccounts>
      <OOBE>
        <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
        <HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>
        <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
        <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
        <NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
        <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
      </OOBE>
    </component>
  </settings>
  <settings pass="specialize">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <ComputerName>KrX-PC</ComputerName>
      <ProductKey></ProductKey>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <Identification>
        <JoinWorkgroup>KrX-Group</JoinWorkgroup>
      </Identification>
    </component>
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="NonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <RunSynchronous>
        <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
          <Order>1</Order>
          <Description>PowerSchemes</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C POWERCFG /SETACTIVE 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
          <Order>2</Order>
          <Description>TurnOffComputerSleep</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C POWERCFG /CHANGE standby-timeout-ac 0</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
          <Order>3</Order>
          <Description>TurnOffComputerSleep</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C POWERCFG /CHANGE standby-timeout-dc 0</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
          <Order>4</Order>
          <Description>TurnOffDisplay</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C POWERCFG /CHANGE monitor-timeout-ac 0</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
          <Order>5</Order>
          <Description>TurnOffDisplay</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C POWERCFG /CHANGE monitor-timeout-dc 0</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
          <Order>6</Order>
          <Description>WinSXSDISMCleanup</Description>
          <Path>CMD /C DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase</Path>
        </RunSynchronousCommand>
      </RunSynchronous>
    </component>
  </settings>
</unattend>

more_horiz
Hey guys,

I will release v0.99.1 in less than 5 hours ...
 Very Happy

YubiGalaxyHi wrote:
WinterStorm, What your facebook name?

I do not have any twitter or facebook account, this forum is the only way to contact me !  Very Happy

more_horiz
Hi guys,

Quick feedback after weeks of absence.

I just tried 0.99, nice new interface, much more easier to use, lots of components to remove.
However I get a lot of problems, not because of instability but mainly because it's hard to get a stable/working Windows version.
Bart3lon makes a point when saying we need to have a fully working Windows reduced before going the extra MB and I can't get it right after multiple tests.

1. First of all, with a fresh Virtual machine and all updates made, I am unable to launch WinReducer main removal screen. Basically, I always choose extract iso, then windows 8.1 pro and I wait until WinReducer options appears. Now, it never appears, it just gets stuck for hours after selecting which version of Windows I want (wimfltr v2 extract still running but no CPU, hdd ressources used). Tested with folder already extracted too.
If I don't update Windows 8.1 after installation, I don't have this issue. Not sure what's happening.

Therefore, is there a way to launch WinReducer with debug so that I can have a look of what's going on please?

2. I also agree with bart3lon because I got a couple of framework errors using programs. However I didn't have time to run as much test as he did.

3. Even if I keep one language and do "not" select natural languages, windows search is broken anyway. Basically I kept French language and keyboard, yet not search function (indexing option shows 0)
nb: I agree regarding removing Natural languages, it shouldn't break Windows Search ultimately. I reckon it's difficult to achieve, but it would be a big space earner. In the meantime, selecting "Protect Windows Search" should automatically greyed "every" component which breaks Search to avoid confusion.

4. Windows update seems to be broken to when selecting SXS cleanup. I'm not sure what has to be disabled to not break it, but I get an error 8024401C if I run it on the reduced image. I think it's due to the SXS cleanup. I ran more tests not selecting any win sxs cleanup and it's half fine. Windows updates works, I install all of them, but after the reboot, I get a 2min black screen before getting on the desktop. 10 reboot give me the same black screen when it starts. I can't update any driver as I am on a virtual machine but it keeps me from actually using this image for production.

5. We mentioned this before, but WinReducer should be able to select all files linked to a component. It looks like some doublons are here, maybe I need to write more tips, because quite a lot of components are not clear to me.
For example, I select Action Center and AutoPlay to be removed, and it doesn't select Control Panel Action Center and CP AutoPlay.
Another one, I select Accessibility, it doesn't select Ease of Access.
I don't have time at all to help looking at all of them right now but it would be nice to improve this.

In the meantime, could you please provide me the debug options?
Good job on the massive amount of new component to remove.
Looking forward for your feedback.

Cheers
Flo

more_horiz
Hey flo,

I really like your feedbacks, highly detailed and extremely interesting ....  Very Happy 

1. Did you choose "Optimizations - Windows Unneeded Files Cleanup" ? Because in v0.99 it was too much aggressive and could cause troubles with NET framework depending software (like winreducer). I change it in v0.99.1 by creating an experimental options in "Optimizations" to avoid those problems ....

2. Same as 1.

3. It seems I finally found a way to reproduce the windows search bug, so I will fix it tomorrow, but you need to wait for v0.99.1, because I need to delay the release of this version until I fix it ... Crying or Very sad
In v0.99.1, the protect presets (like windows search) has been improved and all depending components will be automatically protected ...  Wink 

4. I will dig that, thank you for the report ...

5. If you use "Preset - Automatic removing", you will be able to use WinReducer like this. I also created a list of which dependent components are used. It will be available when v0.99.1 will be released. But the list is not complete so ...  Wink 

Have a nice day my friend !

more_horiz
Hi buddy,
Many thanks for your feedback too.

1. I didn't tick that one, so I don't know what to say...
2. ...
3. Brilliant, I'll wait then. Thanks. I think this is priority 1 as I call it at work so take the time you need. I can do some tests tomorrow same time, if you can get it ready during the day.
4. Cheers
5. This Automatic removing preset is selected, yet, the behaviour you're describing is not happening. "You will be able" means 0.99.1?
6. Why "Clean Boot wim" used alone do not reduce the size of the wim?

Have a nice evening.
Cheers
Flo
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum