The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

Apps and system apps safe to be removed

+2
anon768
winterstorm2050
6 posters

descriptionApps and system apps safe to be removed EmptyApps and system apps safe to be removed

more_horiz
Can someone tell me which apps and system apps are safe to be removed? After I removed the Net Framework apps and the VCLibs (I'm not sure if it's called this way) with NTLite the Calculator, Photos and Store apps are not opening (I also removed Net Framework 3.5 with NTLite if it matters).

descriptionApps and system apps safe to be removed EmptyRe: Apps and system apps safe to be removed

more_horiz
Hello,

This is normal that Modern UI Apps are not working because these "Modern UI Apps Frameworks" are necessary to launch software like "Calculator", "Photos", ...

"Modern UI Apps Frameworks" (are like Net Framework versions or VC++ libs for "standard" Windows Software) ... but for "Modern UI Apps" Wink

So if you planned to use these Modern UI Apps, for a general purpose, do not remove :
- Modern UI Apps - Framework (Input Text Services)"
- Modern UI Apps - Framework (.NET Native)"
- Modern UI Apps - Framework (Visual C++ Runtime)"
- Modern UI Apps - Framework (Microsoft Store Services)" : of course this one is for MS Store ... so keep it only if you need it

I wish you to have a nice day !

descriptionApps and system apps safe to be removed EmptyRe: Apps and system apps safe to be removed

more_horiz
Thanks! Then I screwed up since I removed two of those 4 Net Framework apps. Can I remove the store purchase app or I won't be able to open the store app? And what about the services? Which ones can I remove? I wish you a nice day!

EDIT: I didn't remove the .NET and VCLibs apps with MSMG ToolKit and the Store and Photos apps aren't opening (and are in English and not in my language), anyway.

more_horiz
Hello,

If you need to use the Windows Store, you should probably avoid to remove anything about it ... this is only to avoid troubles after installation ... but if you want to test without some according components, please feel free to report your discoveries Smile

I wish you to have a nice day !

more_horiz
Thanks! Which services can I safely remove? What do the Advertising.Xaml and the Service.Store.Engagement do? I think I can load those (store, calculator, edge, photos) apps without them. And will my stores app work if I remove the store purchase app? Which services can I remove? Should I remove .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 and .NET Framework 4.7 (without forgetting to check PowerShell since I need it) and leave .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services unchecked in NTLite and remove .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 4.6 Network Advanced Services in WinReducer since Windows 10 RS3 comes with .NET Framework 4.7.1? What's the difference between .NET Framework 4.7 and .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services? I don't know why but after I removed some things with NTLite they still appear in WinReducer.  If I want to download an app even without having sign in I must keep AAD Broker Plugin? Which codecs may I safely remove with WinReducer (old codecs which are no longer used)? Have a nice day!

EDIT: After I boot up the ISO made by NTLite in Hyper-V an error message says that Windows cannot read the setting from the unattend answer file as soon as I press a key to begin the install. What should I do now since I want to have this file?

EDIT 2: Now I tried the same autounattend.xml file in an untouched ISO and I didn't have this problem so it might be caused by something removed by NTLite!

EDIT 3: After I kept the ei.cfg file I no longer have this problem.

EDIT 4: Now I have the "something went wrong" message during the install again!

EDIT 5: It looks like it is one of the disabled services which is causing this.

EDIT 6: It was the Windows Biometric Service so I mustn't disable it. Does that mean that I'm forced to have Biometric which I don't want?

more_horiz
It's generally not a good idea to use NTLite and WinReducer together. They have their own ways of doing things, and bugs are basically guaranteed.

For services, you can disable them, or remove them. If a service breaks something for you, it's generally fine to just disable it instead of removing it.

I also really wouldn't advise to remove any .NET Framework. Plenty of apps use them and you're likely to run into issues when removing them. The .NET Framework advanced services are pretty safe to remove though.

Also, here's my wccf:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It has pretty much everything I don't need removed. Windows Store and photos work. If you don't need it, everything related to xbox can be safely removed, too.

more_horiz
WinReducer's autounattend has problems so I use NTLite's. WinReducer removes some folders and files like setup.exe in the root to spare some disk space (I don't know which option does that but in my case it happens). How can I do an upgrade install? Can I make it through the setup.exe inside the sources folder which is kept? What are the differences between those two setup.exe files?

EDIT: Now NTLite and WinReducer convert the install.esd to install.wim. The image will grow bigger in NTLite's case and if I convert it back to ESD it will have the same size as the WIM and won't be smaller and if I use the other WinReducer program to convert to ESD it will have the same size as the WinReducer's WIM and not smaller! Also, if I use one after the other (NTLite and WinReducer) the install says (in both Hyper-V and VirtualBox) that I don't have enough space which isn't true and because of that I can't install Windows!

more_horiz
Hello,

Windows 10 User wrote:
WinReducer removes some folders and files like setup.exe in the root to spare some disk space (I don't know which option does that but in my case it happens). How can I do an upgrade install? Can I make it through the setup.exe inside the sources folder which is kept? What are the differences between those two setup.exe files?

Have you used this option : "Optimizations - ISO - Delete Unneeded Files" ... which is in the "FINISH ==> ISO File Creator ==> Optimizations" tab ... this option removes all unnecessary files in your ISO, this includes "setup.exe" and all others. This was a user request few years ago. So, if you used this option you need to disable it in order to keep the files that suit for your need.

Windows 10 User wrote:
How can I convert to esd in WinReducer?

An install.esd file is just the exact same file as an install.wim file ... so with Windows 8.1 and 10, you are able to achieve the same compression size with esd files or wim files (aka no matter the file format you use) ... but for this you need to use the correct WinReducer option : "Optimizations - ISO - Compression Mode" (you will find it in the  "FINISH ==> ISO File Creator" tab) ... this option let you choose the "Recovery" compression mode option, which is the same compression algorithm as the ESD file uses.

Of course if HyperV absolutely needs an install.esd file, you can use the WinReducer Software, in the WinReducer "ES-Series" named "Wim Converter", to easily convert your install.wim to an esd file ... and here is an official tutorial : How to Install and Use (Wim Converter)

more_horiz
Yes, I use that option. Ok, so that means I won't be able to do an upgrade install anymore? What if I run the setup.exe inside the sources folder, make a shortcut of it and place it in the root or even copy the setup.exe from root to root? I can't understand why you think such file isn't needed.

I already use Recovery. I did that but it has the same size as the install.wim so it isn't worth it.

more_horiz
Windows 10 User wrote:
Yes, I use that option. Ok, so that means I won't be able to do an upgrade install anymore? What if I run the setup.exe inside the sources folder, make a shortcut of it and place it in the root or even copy the setup.exe from root to root?

You need to copy all files from an untouched ISO to solve your trouble, a shortcut will not work or will not work properly. Just take care to do not replace the files created by WinReducer (those already present in your WinReduced ISO.

Windows 10 User wrote:
I can't understand why you think such file isn't needed.

Is this a joke ? Do I have to remember you what's the the purpose of the WinReducer Project ... ok then ... it's to customize and reduce a Windows Operating System to fit your own needs ... so I implemented this WinReducer option .... because ... some people want to run the setup.exe inside the sources folder (like you) ... and many others don't need it (like me) !

Windows 10 User wrote:
I already use Recovery. I did that but it has the same size as the install.wim so it isn't worth it.

Are you talking about the compression algorithm used for esd or wim files (in "FINISH ==> ISO File Creator" tab) ... that's strange, but could you please send me your wccf.

more_horiz
What do you mean with copy all files from an untouched ISO if afterwards WinReducer will remove them again?

No, it's not a joke since I thought the upgrade install was essential for everyone. So, it's impossible to keep the root setup.exe after I choose this options or can I still do the upgrade install if I run the setup.exe inside the sources foler? 

Yes, I'm talking about that. When I said "I did that" I was talking about converting the install.wim to install.esd to say the esd has the same size as the install.wim.

more_horiz
Windows 10 User wrote:
What do you mean with copy all files from an untouched ISO if afterwards WinReducer will remove them again?

hi, what he means is if you already reduced an iso you dont need to do that again because of that one component. so just extract your untoched downloaded iso and replace the unattanded file (if you got one) at the root directory and the install.wim and boot.wim from the source folder. that way you dont need to run winreducer again to get all the missing files to use the upgrade function

No, it's not a joke since I thought the upgrade install was essential for everyone. So, it's impossible to keep the root setup.exe after I choose this options or can I still do the upgrade install if I run the setup.exe inside the sources foler?

i never used the upgrade function, why should i when i can get a cleanly installed os. im using my iso and start it directly from the boot menu when starting my notebook, that way i can format my hdd and install win10

more_horiz
But why would I do that reduce an ISO twice? I wasn't using WinReducer's autounattend but NTLite's since the first has problems but if I replace the install.wim and the boot.wim with the originals the image will get bigger and that's why I reducec in in the first place! How can I keep the setup.exe in the root? May I use the one inside the sources folder?

Because not everyone wants to copy all the files and folders, change the settings and install all the programs again.

more_horiz
The preset doesn't save the privacy and settings' options!

more_horiz
Windows 10 User wrote:

Saying this is not enough, you must describe the context (because there are multiple situations or contexts to load or save settings). Could you please do some explanation efforts which will be much appreciated.

I'm not able to reproduce this because I just tried :
- to load a wccf : OK
- to save a loaded wccf : OK
- changing the value in the privacy and settings tab, then save them in a wccf : OK

For your "setup.exe" problem, I think the best solution for you, is to recreate entirely your customized iso (but without selecting "Optimizations - ISO - Delete Unneeded Files" ... in the "FINISH ==> ISO File Creator ==> Optimizations" tab).

Have a nice day !

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Windows 10 User wrote:

Saying this is not enough, you must describe the context (because there are multiple situations or contexts to load or save settings). Could you please do some explanation efforts which will be much appreciated.

i think i know what he means, i saved an wccf file and it looks like this:

<Element Category="Privacy" Name="Camera - Let apps use my camera" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Microphone - Let apps use my microphone" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Notifications - Let apps access my notifications" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Account Info - Let apps access my name, picture and other account info" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Contacts - Let apps access my contacts" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Calendar - Let apps access my calendar" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Call History - Let apps access my call history" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Email - Let apps access and send email" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Tasks - Tasks" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Messaging - Let apps read or send messages (text or MMS)" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Privacy" Name="Radios - Let apps control radios" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Devices - Printers and scanners" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Accounts - Sync your settings" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Narrator" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Magnifier" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - High Contrast" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Closed captions" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Keyboard" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Mouse" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Ease of Access - Other options" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Cortana - Talk to Cortana" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Cortana - Permissions and history" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Cortana - Notifications" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Cortana - More details" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Cortana - More details - Cortana Language" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Location" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Camera" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Microphone" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Notifications" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Account Info" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Contacts" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Calendar" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Call history" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Email" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Tasks" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Messaging" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Privacy - Radios" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update - Check for updates" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update - Update history" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update - Restart options" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update - Advanced options" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Update - Advanced options - Delivery Optimization" Selected="true" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Defender" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Backup" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Troubleshoot" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Recovery" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Find My Device" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - For developers" Selected="OK" />
    <Element Category="Settings" Name="Update and Security - Windows Insider Program" Selected="OK" />

some are true some OK but loading the wccf file and EVERY component at Privacy and Settings are set to OFF

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Windows 10 User wrote:

I'm not able to reproduce this because I just tried :
- to load a wccf : OK
- to save a loaded wccf : OK
- changing the value in the privacy and settings tab, then save them in a wccf : OK

For your "setup.exe" problem, I think the best solution for you, is to recreate entirely your customized iso (but without selecting "Optimizations - ISO - Delete Unneeded Files" ... in the "FINISH ==> ISO File Creator ==> Optimizations" tab).

Have a nice day !

I checked the things I wanted, saved them in a wccf and loaded it and it didn't work.

But if I do that will the image grow a lot in size? Have a nice day!

Exactly, all of them (privacy and settings) are set to off.

EDIT: It's taking hours to install Windows 10 in Hyper-V even after using only WinReducer (with NTLite's autounattend)!

more_horiz
Hello,

I confirm, you were correct about "Privacy" and "Settings" components ... they are saved correctly but not loaded correctly (with "LOAD" button) using a wccf ... I will fix it in the build which will be available tomorrow. Thank you very much for your report Smile

About your Hyper-V virtual machine, the speed of a virtual machine depends essentially on the power of your microprocessor, the RAM memory size and your Hard Disk Drive (type and free space),  this is also valid with other virtuallization software such as VMware Player or Virtualbox.
1 - with a powerful microprocessor (also known as "CPU") with 4, 6 or 8 cores : you are able to assign more microprocessor cores to speed the virtual machine ... for instance I think you have just one microprocessor core activated in your virtual machine. To be clear if you assign 2 cores instead of 1 core, you should double the power of your virtual machine
2 - with a lot of RAM memory (8Gb to 32Gb) : you are able to assign a lot of memory for your virtual machine, which speeds up by much your virtual machine
3 - with a fast hard disk drive (also known as "HDD") : if you have few free space on your hard disk drive, it will slow down, by much, your virtual machine. It exists other type of "HDD", known as "SSD" and they are very fast for this kind of usage
==> for example, I using a virtual machine, created with VMware Player, with 4 CPU cores, 4 Gb RAM and the virtual machine is entirely stored on an old intel SSD X-25V (40Gb) ... I install a winreduced windows 10 in less than 2 minutes
==> I think you must look at some HyperV tutorials to get the best speed ... but never forgot to choose wisely your virtual machine options to avoid instabilities in Windows 10 while using your virtual machine Smile

@KrX : the "true" or "OK" values in the wccf are exactly the same, and this is a correct behavior ... but the recommended value is always "true".

more_horiz
Ok, but I was able to install it with the same Hyper-V settings and it didn't take hours to complete! I assigned 4 GB to the VM and 2 cores and it's still very slow!

EDIT: This problem happens even in an untouched ISO!

EDIT 2: Now it only works with NTLite and not WinReducer!

more_horiz
I tried the new version and I still have the infinite loading in Hyper-V while installing Windows 10 in the "Preparing" part (I don't know if it's called this way since I'm not trying to install an english version of it)!

more_horiz
Hello,

Maybe you removed an Hyper-V component ... could you please send me your wccf ?

more_horiz
Well, you took to much time answering me so I deleted the folder.

more_horiz
You deleted your presets folder within winreducer ? 
Dont know why, but the wccf file is also stored in your winreducer iso.
So you can take it from there and post it.

more_horiz
I deleted everything related to it.

more_horiz
Then, to my mind, no one can help you.

When you will try to find out, where all your problems come from, start at the beginning.
Use a clean/untouched iso from microsoft.
Dont use other tools like ntlite.
Dont use any unattend.xml file.
Dont start with removing several hundreds of things.
Start removing the most important things for you.
Create a iso, install it and check, if all is working.
When everything is fine, start from the beginning (!), only use you new created wccf file, and then maybe add your unattend.xml file.
Create a new iso, install it and watch what will happen.
...and so on and on...

more_horiz
If this program didn't have that autounattend problem then I wouldn't have to use NTLite's but either way I tried without using both in an untouched ISO and without using NTLite and I still had the same problem if you want to know. If I can't remove a lot of things then this tool is useless but anyway I tried not doing that and I still had problems. I'm wasting hours each day for many months so that last thing you wrote doesn't apply to me.

more_horiz
Apps and system apps safe to be removed Never_10

more_horiz
Well, I could download WinReducer again, set the unattend and then show it to you and also NTLite's so that you can finally correct this problem. This has to do with the problem I have of not being able to create a local account while ignoring the other steps.

more_horiz
Please avoid to use NTlite an Winreducer together because it might be impossible to identify the souce of an error then. And use a clean ISO directly from Microsoft. AFTER you have a statisfactorly result you can use an other tool. When something apears then you know why.

more_horiz
hi,

im just curious, about what unattanded problemes do you speak? also do they happen when you use a clean iso and just put the unattanded file in the root folder?

i dont get any problems with the unattanded part, and the only difference i cen see between the ntlite and winreducer unattanded file is that ntlite got some more entries, which dont really change much during installation
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum