The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS Empty[ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS

more_horiz
Hi @ all,

I am trying to reduce the size of the folders as shown in picture below:

[ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS Speich12

The problem is, that I absolutely need a program, which uses .NET Framework 3.5.
So I integrate the 3.5 in my iso and used the following settings:

Code:

<Element Category="Features" Name="Net Framework 3.5" Selected="false" Value="enable" />
<Element Category="Features" Name="Net Framework 4.5 Network Advanced Services" Selected="false" Value="enable" />

<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="Windows - WinSXS Backup Folder Cleanup" Selected="true" />
<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - Net Framework Complete Cleanup" Selected="false" />
<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - Net Framework Light Cleanup" Selected="false" />
<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (boot.wim)" Selected="true" />
<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)" Selected="false" />
<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Compression" Selected="true" />

To my mind, I can not choose the three EXPERT settings (set to "false"), because I need the Windows Update function.

Is there another option to reduce the folders (picture) with winreducer ?

description[ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS EmptyRe: [ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS

more_horiz
Hey,

Yes, but according to your needs there will not be much possibilities, and you could just set this to true :

Code:

<Element Category="Optimizations" Name="EXPERT - Net Framework Light Cleanup" Selected="false" />

==> This will light the "assembly" folder, without troubles for net framework software.

Just a thought, why don't you slipstream your updates in your ISO and select "EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)" to true ? This is not a big deal to do each month, and you will gain a lighter system with a better security (because you reinstall your system regularly) !

I'm doing like this, and didn't get any virus (with G-Data Antivirus) with a wonderful and fastest system ... Wink

description[ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS EmptyRe: [ANSWERED]again .NET and WinSxS

more_horiz
Hi winterstorm,

thank you for your tip. When I reinstall my system, I always add all updates to wim with dismGUI first.
But I do this clean reinstall only every 3-4 month on my main system ( 3-4 times a week in VM Smile ) and so I love the windows update function and I don't want to use the system without it.

Or...is it possible to choose the EXPERT WinSxS Folder Cleanup and manually install the msu updatefiles ?

more_horiz
What a pity ...  Sad
I thought I had a solution for you winterstorm, so you don't have to reinstall your windows after every patchday.

So I download a *.msu, for example "Windows8.1-KB2976627-x64.msu" and extracted the msu with 7-zip. The result is "Windows8.1-KB2976627-x64.cab".

With the following command ( as admin ) you can install the update in your running system:

Code:

DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\Windows8.1-KB2976627-x64.cab

This works fine, but NOT if I select "EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)"  Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry.

more_horiz
Hello caphp,

Thank you very much to have tried to find a solution ... Very Happy
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum