The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7 Empty[ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7

more_horiz
Through some tweaking I have made some findings which I don't see listed anywhere yet.

I downloaded this program to slipstream windows updates.

1.Windows 7 does not contain the drivers by default to install from a usb3.0 port.

2. Certain updates which are downloaded by Windows Updates Downloader will break the installation when integrated.
Here is a list of updates I found online which are to be excluded. Keeping them in will result in the installation failing right towards the end.
(At or before "Completing Installation").

Windows 7 x64

• KB982018
  • KB947821
  • KB2506143
  • KB2533552
  • KB2819745
  • KB2603229
  • -----possible breakers-----
  • KB2859903
  • KB2909210
  • KB2909921
  • KB2607047
  • KB2823180
  • KB2835174

This list can be found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/20pqsd/list_of_windows_install_breaking_slipstream/
I have not tested them individually but when I removed all of them it worked.

For USB 3.0 would it be possible to add the USB drivers by default to Winreducer 7?

description[ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7 EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7

more_horiz
hi

you need to add your USB 3 Drivers to your boot.wim. i normally do that via WinToolkit

(just add drivers to wintoolkit and go to options and enable that they will be added to the boot.wim)

maybe if you open a new thread at the request forum winter will add this option to winreducer in the futur (or maybe it already is i dont know)

description[ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7 EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] installing updates windows 7

more_horiz
Hello matt_j75 and welcome, Very Happy

Thank you for your sharing, it should interest many other people !

matt_j75 wrote:
For USB 3.0 would it be possible to add the USB drivers by default to Winreducer 7?

Yes, you could do this with 2 ways :

- Before installation : by slipstreaming them in your ISO using "System" tab -> "Integration" tab -> "Drivers" by "..." button ! To do this, you need to extract by yourself the drivers from the executable (*.exe, *.msi) and out them in their own folder. Then copy this folder in the WinReducer folder : "WORK" -> "Integrate" -> "Drivers" -> "x86" or "x64" depending on your system architecture. Don't forget to open the folder dialog to select the correct folder (WinReducer select automatically the good one depending on your system architecture)

- After installation : by using WinReducer Post Installation "OOBE" tool : just use the "Add Files" button and choose your usb 3.0 drivers executable, then everything will be configured for you. And before the end of the installation, your file will be launch to install your drivers.

more_horiz
Hi.

KB2533552 can't be integrated. Can only be installed, trust me.

For the other updates, maybe my procedure can help you. Take a look at this post: https://forum.winreducer.net/t844-some-issues-with-wr7-v3-rc6#8402

As you see, a single command can integrate everything.

Good luck!

more_horiz
Is there a way that WinReducer can ensure automatically these are not integrated???

more_horiz
Hello,

Yes, it could be added without troubles ...

Is someone could confirm the list ? May are other ones ?

more_horiz
u81 wrote:
Is there a way that WinReducer can ensure automatically these are not integrated???

ADDED IN v3.00 (RC12) !

It automatically skip these updates to avoid possible installation workarounds, but if you have other ideas I'm listening !

more_horiz
Many thanks for the update Winterstorm2050.

I've been looking for a Thanks button but don't seem to find it.

One other thing I wish to mention by the by- I integrated the updates without all of the above listed updates with RC10. The install went fine, but then

I have a Dell AIO 964 printer scanner for which the I need to run Win7 in compatibility mode. I'm missing that and seems like I'll have to reinstall windows now.

Is it possible for me to just repair the current windows installation from the orginal OS disc or must I reinstall from scratch ???

When I integrated the updates without removing components, the size of the iso was larger than what could be fit on a 4GB usb.

The point I'm getting to is-

Is there currently or potentially an option that Winreducer could be used to create a disc of all of the updates downloaded so that one could install the OS from the original disk and then install all of the updates from the disk prepared by Winreducer.

The question might be one that has been asked before, but I'm obviously unaware of any solutions to this currently.

Also, I can see why you may not be interested in taking this line of action as essentially the stage for component removal needs to be done before the OS is actually installed on the HDD. But, again you may have other better ideas as you know this stuff infinitely better than I do.

Thanks for the update though.

more_horiz
Hey,

Thank you for your report !

1) About troubled updates : they are automatically skipped by WinReducer, so there shouldn't be anymore troubles

2) No, this not possible to repair your installation, you do not have any other choice than recreate your ISO. Sorry !

3) If I understand right, you would like to install all updates after installation : it's possible using the WinReducer OOBE tool (or OEM tool). There are some restrictions because in case you winreduced your ISO and install all updates after installation, many of them will not be installed because of missing components.

4) I think that the best choice, at least for the moment until I update this, is to slipstream all updates and reduce your ISO using winreducer.

Have a good day and thank you very much again for your support !

more_horiz
@u81

If deployment time is not of concern there are many Windows 7 update packs available, you just run the setup and it installs them all post install. 

Personally, I'm all about deployment time. 
Slipstreaming does not necessarily increase deployment time.
And many updates can cause the setup to fail.
The best solution is to ask someone to upload his update pack for you to use.  You may still need to download a few updates, but the bulk will be done, and setup won't fail, and deployment time optimal.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum