The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size Empty[ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size

more_horiz
Hi, i have trouble with my custom build. I have integrated to clean windows 8.1 Pro 53 updates including Update 1 and .Net Framework 3.5, also created unatennded file with accept eula, s/n, time zone, keyb. lang. In remover removed all unneeded languages and keyboard layouts, also checked automatic removing process. The output iso file size is 4.62Gb (uefi boot compatibility), but when i try to write my iso to usb flash drive, there are one problem, install.wim size is 4.05Gb and files larger than 4Gb can't be written to usb in fat32 format. How to reduce size of install.wim file, i don't know what to remove else or how to compress better my iso file.

description[ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size

more_horiz
Hello and welcome,

Your ISO is a good start ... Windows Updates are space consuming, you just need to improve it by using :

--> "Presets" tab : check "Optimize ISO size" to reduce your size and it should fit on your usb key

--> You could also split your install.wim file using : "HOME -> TOOLS -> ISO -> Save a Wim file -> Split size", and if you want you could transfer to your usb key all the content of your ISO extracted folder using, on the same page, the option "Folder USB Transfer to"

description[ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Windows 8.1 +UPD1 - install.wim size

more_horiz
Thanks for advice, i tried Your method but "Folder USB Transfer to" didn't worked, the usb flash after transfer was empty and install.wim was same 4.05Gb, i splitted as You sayd and now i have install.swm and install2.swm, if i make iso after splitting does it will work as normal (untouched) windows iso?

P.S. i just want to make that iso for further installs, and store it on my pc if i need to reinstall my system again, so i can write that iso to usb. Note - i have bought windows 8.1 edition that supports "unlimited" key activation but before each activation i have to deactivate key. something like install -> activate -> use -> need to reinstall -> deactivate -> reinstall -> activate. Same way each time i want to reinstall.

more_horiz
I was gonna write about this as a possible bug with ISO with UEFI Boot Compatibility creation.  I thought that choosing UEFI Boot Compatibility when creating an ISO would add the 4000 MB file limit that the same setting creates in the WIM creation option.  Not sure if this is a bug or am I just understanding what UEFI Boot Compatibility means.  Thought it mean implementing the Fat32 restrictions.  Please let me know.. Thanks Question

more_horiz
I'm not sure, why nowadays it's so important, that a file is < 4GB.
Simply use the tool Rufus to format your USB-Stick with NTFS and UEFI/GPT support, copy the full content of the iso to the stick, restart your computer and choose UEFI-Boot from your Stick.

more_horiz
caphp wrote:
Simply use the tool Rufus to format your USB-Stick with NTFS and UEFI/GPT support, copy the full content of the iso to the stick, restart your computer and choose UEFI-Boot from your Stick.

I prefer NTFS over all since I don't deal with UEFI/GPT & don't mess with DVD's.  But for those that try to make a ISO that is the most compatiable with the majority of folks out there.  Then Fat32 is a must.  I just edit them for myself.  Already requested NTFS support for WinReducer earlier today.

more_horiz
caphp wrote:
Simply use the tool Rufus to format your USB-Stick with NTFS and UEFI/GPT support, copy the full content of the iso to the stick, restart your computer and choose UEFI-Boot from your SticYep i know about

Yep i know about Rufus tool, it's not hard for me to format my usb stick to NTFS, but im talking about ease of use. Most of programs which write iso to usb formats usb stick in fat32 format, like Ultra ISO or WinToFlash, even Microsoft official program transfers iso's to usb in fat32 format. There must be a simple way to write iso to usb without any difficulties, thats what i mean.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum