The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Empty[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot)

more_horiz
When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot).

I'm running Win 8.1.1 ProWMC x64 (UEFi on a GPT system). Since yesterday i got this error message using Winreducer 8.1 v1.18 while opening a windows 8.1 install.wim, i began rebuilding and updating (using dism) a new build and after that reducer opened that one fine but older builds it did not. Today i wanted to build an updated windows 7 sp1 pro install.wim but now i get this error (see sshot below). I used Winreducer 7 v3.00 rc4.

[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Wr70v310

The wims open just fine in windows toolkit and dism.

I only use winreducer for 4 little tweaks, 3 of them i cannot do using wim reg load on a mounted wim.

description[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) EmptyRe: [SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot)

more_horiz
Is there no one who can tell me what is going wrong here?

description[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) EmptyRe: [SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot)

more_horiz
Hello,

Do you have this error, before you see the available windows editions or when you choose to mount your edition ?

more_horiz
Thanks, Winterstorm.

Pictures say more than 1000 words:

I open wr70 and i see this:

[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Wr70a10

I select "start" en "folder" and i get this:

[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Wr70b10

And then i get : choose a valid windows edition.

[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Wr70v311

When i click on "OK" i get this:

[SOLVED] When selecting a windows 7 SP1 install.wim file, i get an error message: choose a valid windows edition (see sshot) Wr70c10

When i select that one, the error message comes again :S

more_horiz
Could you please have a look in your "sources" (in the extracted ISO folder) to tell me if you have a "install.wim" or "install.esd" file ?

more_horiz
Windows 7 is currently Install.wim, windows 8.1 i make esd's after completing the 4 tweaks i do using winreducer.

I just downloaded the rc5 version of winreducer 7.0 and placed it in a VMWare install of windows 7 sp1 x64 and i got the same error message as on windows 8.1 x64. Untouched win 7 sp1 source wims i can open without problems, but after integrating the updates and placing the scripts folders it won't open with winreducer.

First I integrate the updates using dism (gui), i copy my specific files to the wim, then i rebuild the wim using wintoolkit and at last i tweak and sometimes reduce (unneeded files, all with exception of the expert options) using winreducer. In case of windows 8.1 i make esd files and in case of win 7 sp1 i make sometimes swm files to keep the biggest file under 4GB for uefi fat32 use. Finally i make an iso using windows toolkit.

I've made lots of builds and this is the first time i'm having problems with it.

Strange is, 2days ago i had the same problem with 8.1 and wims i made last week. New projects i made since 2 days ago have no such problems.

more_horiz
I think I know what the problem is/was.

In the earlier versions with the old way to select the windows edition this never was a problem but now in the "new and improved" versions of winreducer 8.1 (for me 1.18) and 70 (for me rc4) it seems to be a problem.

I rename the windows indexes when i build, eg "Windows Pro SP1 x64 EN [OEM SLiC2.1]", this was never a problem but i tried renaming it without using the [ and ] characters and i can load the windows edition in reducer 70 v300 rc5 now. The characters ( and ) can also be used.

It seems that some characters cannot be read by the new load option in the newer reducers.

I will try this also with reducer 8.1 v1.19 for win 8.1.1.

more_horiz
Seems like a bug to me.

more_horiz
so it seems after renaming an index name winreducer get this "error".

so maybe you should first use winreducer and after that rename your wim file index.
also i want to know, you get this "error" but on the last picture the while name is shown. when you now click on MOUNT does everything work?

maybe winter can do something to prevent that .

more_horiz
i think it should be solved since:

WinReducer 7.0 - v3.08 (18 December 2014) :

- UPDATE : "MOUNT ISO or WIM file" : Improve mounting process
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum