The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot Empty[SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot

more_horiz
Confirmed if you create an ISO using Winreducer break EFI disc boot.
If you create an customized WinReducer ISO even not removing EFI files or not enabling clean boot files not is possible boot in EFI mode. In mainboard you select EFI DVD boot selecting WinReduce ISO will boot normally, but when in last setup screen for select disk partition to install not will be possible continue because installation the disk is an GPT and say to change to MBR mode. If you boot using an original DVD and in first setup screen change for WinReducer ISO setup will continue and Windows will be installed in EFI mode.
I had created 2 ISOs without customize installation.
The first I had created an copy of original Windows 8.1 DVD for an folder and used WinReducer to read that folder creating and ISO file. After of burning that ISO using PowerISO and tested EFI mode continue breaked.
The second I had created an ISO of my Windows 8.1 DVD using ImgBurn and after burning with PowerISO just because ImgBurn erase totally my DVD-RW media and PowerISO is quick erase. DVD boot in EFI mode without problems and Windows is installed in EFI mode.

WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI boot mode.

Details of original Windows 8.1 DVD
Imp ID Microsoft CDIMAGE UDF
ISO 9660 Bootable UDF 1.02
Long file name

In moment creating and testing some ISO for search which services or programs are required for fix problems with Paragon Partition Manager setup, Zone Alarm setup and TP Link wireless driver setup.
After of all fixed I will post my results.

Thanks.

description[SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot EmptyRe: [SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot

more_horiz
More another details.
Windows 8.1 DVD is an mix of ISO9660 and UDF.

Now creating an ISO and WinISO report an hidden directory with an readme.txt with the follow message.
This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

description[SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot EmptyRe: [SOLVED] WinReducer ISO Tool break EFI DVD boot

more_horiz
Did you try using a USB key?
There is a guide in the tutorials section on installing to UEFI motherboards

more_horiz
Hello.
Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P boot in EFI mode just if using DVD.
Today I will create an ISO using hybrid ISO and UDF.
Thanks.

more_horiz
I can confirm that it breaks USB UEFI boot too. Did several combinations, even a very light removal with seemingly not related components selected breaks boot. Writing an unaltered image to an USB stick worked however.

more_horiz
This is what I do.
1. Use Rufus to create the UEFI USB key with the standard ISO
2. Delete all files from the USB Key
3. Copy across all files from the reduced Windows 8.1 installation to the USB key
4. Giggidy Smile

more_horiz
Out of curiosity I tried it, yielded the same effect, after the initial copying it failed just before rebooting.

more_horiz
Friends copy the original Windows 8.1 PRO DVD to local disk.
Use an ISO utiliy and you will see original dvd have 2 file systems being an bootable with and txt file inside.
The two file systems are :
- bootable ISO 9660 with an txt file.
- UDF 1.02 with boot and setup files.
Perhaps is the localization of EFI boot files in DVD.
USB utilities not are the solution.

more_horiz
I am trying a FAT32 GPT USB EFI install and that does not work either, so irrespective of what file systems are put on the DVD disk Winreducer 1.0 breaks something in the files.

more_horiz
I successfully installed the winreducer image in UEFI mode, from a fat32 pendrive, that had an active partition, I didn't modify the pendrive, that was the factory default condition. The rufus tool didn't work for me, GPT does not boot, only an active partition does. Hope this helps.

more_horiz
Using rufus the factory image works in UEFI mode, the winreduced not, it boots fine but after the initial copying it reports an error resulting in an unbootable installation.

more_horiz
I will have a look on this for v1.02, thank you guys for the informations ...  Very Happy

more_horiz
Hello,

Did you reduced your ISO, using "Optimizations - ISO - Windows - Unneeded Files Cleanup" and/or "Drivers - Support - EFI and UEFI" ?

more_horiz
Ouch, yes, Drivers - Support - EFI and UEFI was ticked. Trying without it being selected.

more_horiz
Setting all of the options above to false still yields a failing install, the result is the same.

more_horiz
Hello,

You could find useful information in the tutorial part : LINK

more_horiz
Just to summarize:

- I have been following the guide
- As documented I created the EFI boot USB stick
- Successfully booted in EFI mode
- Initial install copy phase succeeds

After all this before an actual reboot the install reports it cannot boot, trying to boot from the install drive at this point will result in a failed boot.

more_horiz
I told you that because JamieTheWolf has updated his tutorial (LINK).

more_horiz
Ok reread the guide, no relevant new info, my wims are well below 4GB. Also I am not encountering any issues with installing the original distribution in EFI mode.

more_horiz
Hi 1xpuser@veryrealemail.com.
I think the reason that winter provided the link, is to show you the workaround that I used, I guess.
I'm not sure if he can/wants to fix this "issue", since one can easily get around it by creating the USB Boot key by loading the original MSDN ISO, instead of the WinReducer created ISO.

So we can now definitely say that WinReducer is not creating the ISO in a way that allows it to be used for installing in UEFI mode, however, it does contain the neccessary files to install in UEFI mode, once you have media that is formatted with a UEFI capable ISO (original MS ISO).

For those using USB keys its an easy fix. For those using DVDs, its not so good.

@winter 1: maybe put a warning popup before ISO creation saying that you cant use WinReducer to create media that are bootable in UEFI.
@winter 2: We could create a specific tutorial topic and you could include that link in the popup.
@winter 3: This is all assuming that you cannot/wont fix the issue
@winter 4: I hope this post doesnt seem complaining or being negative Smile

more_horiz
theKramer wrote:
@winter 1: maybe put a warning popup before ISO creation saying that you cant use WinReducer to create media that are bootable in UEFI.
@winter 2: We could create a specific tutorial topic and you could include that link in the popup.
@winter 3: This is all assuming that you cannot/wont fix the issue
@winter 4: I hope this post doesnt seem complaining or being negative Smile

No problem my friend, I totally understand why many people need this functionnality !  Very Happy 

And this is why I'm working on adding UEFI support when you want to create an ISO ...  Wink ... Just do not forget to keep "Drivers - Boot - UEFI and UEFI Support" !

more_horiz
Hi guys,

I've added UEFI boot support for both USB and DVD in WinReducer 8.1 - v1.02 !  Very Happy (Information Link)

more_horiz
Thank you very much!

more_horiz
Still doesn't work! WinReducer 8.1 deletes all of the UEFI boot files. Even with no components
removed.

more_horiz
Hello,

Weird, I've tried yesterday, and it works like a charm ! Which build are you using ?

Regards.

winterstorm2050
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum