The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

Optimizations - Windows WinSXS Files Cleanup (EXTREME)

+7
Blaireau
bart3lon
theKramer
mrpotter2510
billybully
YubiGalaxy
winterstorm2050
11 posters

descriptionOptimizations - Windows WinSXS Files Cleanup (EXTREME) - Page 2 EmptyRe: Optimizations - Windows WinSXS Files Cleanup (EXTREME)

more_horiz
Great news, dude! I will try it right now Very Happy.

descriptionOptimizations - Windows WinSXS Files Cleanup (EXTREME) - Page 2 EmptyRe: Optimizations - Windows WinSXS Files Cleanup (EXTREME)

more_horiz
Tried to use v0.99.3 (Extreme Edition) with a reduce ISO in which I integrated GA-Rollup (using WinReducer, of course !) and it works very great ! All my software works wonderfully ! I just disable Services "App Readness" (will be added it in v0.99.4) : Windows seems to be even better without it ! And also because it could cause a blank long login. This has been revealed by ls7777 (LINK) ...

And the difference is 430MB between x64 ISO Extreme and not extreme x64 ISO reducing ! So my x64 ISO is 1.1GB with an install.wim size around 919MB with GA-Rollup integrated !

Really interesting !!!!!  Very Happy

more_horiz
Hello, winter Smile. After all day testing and building, I managed to create a fully working 64-bit 815 MB install.wim file (still having the "Other user" issue, but that is easily solved with a simple Autounattend.xml file). My boot.wim file is at 131 MB, but it didn't work Crying or Very sad. I'll have to see which of the files in my batch script screwed it up, so, if you were planning to try it, DON'T. I'll test tomorrow.

Current ISO size: 953 MB.

Out.

EDIT: I saw a guy called "aydentist86" complaining about the same problem I'm having: the boot.wim file fails to work because "the autorun.dll cannot be loaded or is corrupt". It makes me think of two possibilities: I screwed my file with my batch script, or you changed something in WinReducer v0.99.3. Are you aware of some change you might have done, Winter?

Link: https://forum.winreducer.net/t318p525-winreducer-81-v0991-pre-final#3637

more_horiz
Hi guys.
Whats the effect of the .NET reduction?
I dont use any specific .NET apps, except WinReducer Smile

Does the extreme slimming break some .NET functionality?

more_horiz
Hi billybully.
Could you do a standard winSXS reduction with vLite, with no extra extreme removal, that doesnt break Windows Update and post it here?

I remember being able to use vLite with winSXS removal on Vista and being able to update after and it would be great to have that for Windows 8.1 also.

It would be awesome for people like me, who want the ISO small, but still want Windows Update functionality. Then winter can create 2 extreme options.
1. Remove winSXS "Extreme" but leave update functionality
2. Remove winSXS "Ultra-Extreme", which makes it as small as possible for you guys.

For some weird reason, I could never get vLite to work on Windows 7 iso. Followed all the guides I could find, but could never get it to work Sad

@winter. Would you be ok to implement that, if possible?

more_horiz
Hey theKramer,

1. Yes, it will launch WinReducer but I don't know which consequences there are for other software  Very Happy 

2. Yes, if it's possible to do keep window update while cleaning WinSxS folder in the extreme way, I will be more than happy to add this .... Very Happy

more_horiz
@theKramer

1. To be honest with you, I don't know, lol. I only use one or two .NET Framework apps, but I've been so busy trying to slim down builds that I forgot to test that properly, lol. I'm going to check that later. My answer for now would be no. It doesn't cause any trouble with any .NET app. It worked in Windows 7, I guess it is the same in Windows 8.

2. I remember reading something about it too. I'm going to research a little bit, and answer you later.

more_horiz
@billybully: thanks for your help. Much appreciated Smile

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hey theKramer,

1. Yes, it will launch WinReducer but I don't know which consequences there are for other software  Very Happy 

2. Yes, if it's possible to do keep window update while cleaning WinSxS folder in the extreme way, I will be more than happy to add this .... Very Happy

Hey Winter,
Do you mind sharing the wccf file for that 1.1GB x64 ISO? I have an extra laptop on my hands these days and i can test drive it. Maybe start a separate thread with compatible/incompatible apps.

Thanks!

more_horiz
Sorry for my late answer, yes I will provide such preset and today ...  Wink

more_horiz
billybully wrote:
@theKramer
2. I remember reading something about it too. I'm going to research a little bit, and answer you later.

Tried installing Windows Vista in a VM and doing the "Apply -> Capture" trick with gImagex on a W7 wim in that Vista VM and then loading the windows 7 image in vLite, but it still craps out Sad 

No idea why this never worked/works for me

The only thing I select in vLite is "Windows Cache" removal, and it always bugs out..

Merde!!!! Smile

more_horiz
Hello,

lolkaa could you please post all your questions in this thread :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you !

more_horiz
thanks to all, i am still finding all the junk i mean unnecessary files in winsxs of Windows 7 ISO, i don't need Windows updates.
anyone give me list of all unnecessary items in this folder?
last time i created a Win 7 x86 ISO of only 618MB, but unfortunately formatted the drive, i'll do again, but it is mystery that this works perfect.

more_horiz
A long time ago, I and harkaz (now essentially visible on the site ryanvm) decided to create a lite iso of windows 7. Since we used sysprep, it was important to keep windows update working.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
In reality, You can remove wallpapers or fonts from winsxs, it won't affect the next updates, but for the other folders, you can't guess which ones will be necessary. For example, I deleted every "kor" "jap" and "chin" folders and a few months ago an update needed a few of them.
However, You can always find which files is lacking in the CBS folder.
winterstorm is probably doing a fine job, but I must say that I prefer to remove files manually.

more_horiz
The One Drive link in the first post is broken

more_horiz
Hello,

Almost everything in this thread has been implemented in all EX-Series builds ... so it's better to use all software available on the website.

The WinSxS files cleanup is already activated and operational in all EX-Series software under the names :
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Net Framework Complete Cleanup"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Net Framework Light Cleanup"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (boot.wim)"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)"

A new option has been also implemented :
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Deep Cleanup"

I wish you  to have a nice day !

more_horiz
<< The WinSxS files cleanup is already activated and operational in all EX-Series software under the names :
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Net Framework Complete Cleanup"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Net Framework Light Cleanup"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (boot.wim)"
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - WinSXS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)"

A new option has been also implemented :
- "Optimizations - EXPERT - Deep Cleanup" >>

Do all these options work well or do they break win install?

more_horiz
Hello,

All these options are working correctly, I mean without breaking your Windows installation in all EX-Series software ... but you need to use them carefully, in fact you must loose many functionalities (like Windows Updates, ... or support for net framework based software, for this last one you must use the 2 options named net framework compatibility).

Once used, your Windows installation size will be hugely reduced, and even more if you use these 2 options :
- "Optimizations - ISO - Boot - Delete Unneeded Editions"
- "Optimizations - ISO - Windows - Delete Unneeded Editions"
They will removed all unnecessary Windows Editions in your ISO ... this is the main purpose of WinReducer : just keep only the necessary stuff ! So, as you are able to install only one Windows edition in your computer, just keep it to got an important ISO size reduction !

I wish you to have a nice day !
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum