The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionDirect capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts) EmptyDirect capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts)

more_horiz
Hi inallsorts.
I thought it a good idea to create this thread, so we can test our ideas out together and not clutter up the other thread. Plus that thread will make it difficult to track our progress.

theKramer wrote:
inallsorts wrote:
~BSOD~ wrote:
@Winterstorm2050 and all. 
I resolved both the issues "this folder is incorrect" and that "Java Debugger error". The problem is Winreducer is still not compatible with install.esd. It requires install.wim to work. That's why whenever folder or ISO with install.esd selected, it propmt with error and no error again with install.wim.

I do hope that you may have install.esd support one day. Thanks again for such a wonderfull software.
The Install.esd, Is an encrypted Windows Install file, hence not supported by Winreducer.

You can decrypt It back to Install.wim, by using ImageX. The process may take a little while, but It can certainly be achieved.
For an install.esd, it is best to use the Sysprep procedure. Plus, with Windows 8, ImageX is discontinued (but still usable) in favour of DISM.
To use Sysprep, us my guide here. I have also provided the DISM commands there.

@inallsorts: have you captured a VM using Imagex/DISM without using sysprep and it worked? I have never tried using Imagex/DISM directly, as everything I have read indicates you need sysprep first to make sure the image is reset back for reinstallation.

descriptionDirect capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts) EmptyRe: Direct capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts)

more_horiz
inallsorts wrote:
theKramer wrote:

@inallsorts: have you captured a VM using Imagex/DISM without using sysprep and it worked? I have never tried using Imagex/DISM directly, as everything I have read indicates you need sysprep first to make sure the image is reset back for reinstallation.
Okay, here's what I did to successfully convert to Install.wim.I've used sysprep on my VM running Windows 8.1, with both the OOBE & Generalize options selected. Once finished (and the VM booted down), I attached the VHD via Disk Management (on the host OS), and then used Imagex to capture the virtual drive and convert the Install.esd file to Install.wim.So to answer your question, I did use sysprep. Just for the purpose of the exercise, my next priority Is to try this without sysprep, which I'm quite confident I'll find a methodology that will work 

descriptionDirect capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts) EmptyRe: Direct capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts)

more_horiz
Hi inallsorts.
I think a direct capture to install.wim may work, as I do notice that after capturing to install.wim, to take the pre-sysprep backup, it seems to go through a type of reinstallation process when I start the Win8.1 VM back up again after capturing.
Sysprep is designed specifically so you can apply the same image to multiple computers, so, if we are just applying it to one computer, it might work.
I will try an do it soon if I can find the time. I already have a backed up wim pre-sysprep, so it would be a matter of just copying it into an iso folder and loading it in WinReducer 8.1.

more_horiz
Im happy to report that reducing an install.wim that was not sysprepped, but just captured directly to install.wim seems to work perfectly.

Major timesaving on Sysprep method Smile

I'll write a new tutorial that should be about 80% shorter Smile

more_horiz
AMAZING ! I'm really interesting to read it ! Very Happy 

descriptionDirect capture to install.wim, WITHOUT Sysprep (theKramer/inallsorts) EmptyAlternative and EASIER guide instead of Sysprep

more_horiz
New guide is up, and now is much, much shorter and easier cheers

No Sysprep, no messing about with different XMLs and no need to worry about activation issues bounce

more_horiz
theKramer wrote:
Im happy to report that reducing an install.wim that was not sysprepped, but just captured directly to install.wim seems to work perfectly.

Hey theKramer, that's very good to read.

I was also under the Impression that sysprep was a necessity (first), to capture the Install.wim file. I've been quite busy working with DISM, adding/removing drivers and the same with packages, and so too with enabling/disabling features.

I will certainly try capturing the wim file directly without sysprep.
Much appreciate the Info Smile

more_horiz
inallsorts wrote:
theKramer wrote:

Hey theKramer, that's very good to read.

I was also under the Impression that sysprep was a necessity (first), to capture the Install.wim file. I've been quite busy working with DISM, adding/removing drivers and the same with packages, and so too with enabling/disabling features.

I will certainly try capturing the wim file directly without sysprep.
Much appreciate the Info Smile
My guess is that Sysprep doesnt really do all that much. I assumed that without it, the image would be f***ed (sorry for bad language Smile ), but I guess all it really does is reset the system information to defaults, so if the image needs to be deployed to different PC's, that things like the network setup etc wont be messed up.

My next test is to see if it is possible to install an antivirus and Capture the wim use WinReducer to reduce it. Sysprep never liked that.

Sometimes, its good to ask "What would happen if I did this?". Thanks to you, I did cheers
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum