The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

Extreme

+8
takitezsdc
theKramer
pricecaptain
roverny
player04
amin20
billybully
winterstorm2050
12 posters

descriptionExtreme EmptyExtreme

more_horiz
Hey guys,

You could find an EXTREME wccf preset file to use with WinReducer EX-70, EX-81 or EX-100 minimum !

If you need help you could discuss in this thread about this EXTREME Preset !

Instructions :

DOWNLOAD LINK : Extreme Preset for EX-70

DOWNLOAD LINK : Extreme Preset for EX-81

DOWNLOAD LINK : Extreme Preset for EX-100

Kind Regards,
winterstorm2050

descriptionExtreme EmptyRe: Extreme

more_horiz
Hello guys,

Extreme wccf Preset file available to download !

cheers 

more_horiz
I'm going to play around with this tomorrow  Twisted Evil. Thank you, Winter.

descriptionExtreme EmptyBug

more_horiz
Hi

Ok It is very good

more_horiz
I will update it when RC2 will be available to support all the new components to remove ...  Wink

more_horiz
Please put  ISO size expected with Final Version

more_horiz
I've updated the EXTREME Preset for v1.00 final .... Your ISO will a little bigger ...  Very Happy

more_horiz
thanks

more_horiz
I'm confused, is there a place to d/l this WCCF, am I missing something?

On a different note, I'm trying to get a copy of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro installed into a 3.6 GB storage place, and I'm not sure what to take out of the image to do this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

more_horiz
roverny wrote:
I'm confused, is there a place to d/l this WCCF, am I missing something?

On a different note, I'm trying to get a copy of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro installed into a 3.6 GB storage place, and I'm not sure what to take out of the image to do this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

figured out how to d/l it, had to sign up for the forum. doh! Wink 

Still curious about the other part though. Smile

more_horiz
Hello,

You could try to load this preset, but take care it removes many things !

So I encouraged you to use the "Desktop" preset instead. (LINK)

You could also find some information about big components to remove, to save many space on your ISO, in this thread. (LINK)

Regards.

more_horiz
--> ISO size expected :
x86 =  737 MB (ISO reduced by 70%)
x64 = 1110 MB (ISO reduced by 67%)

I have question about the ISO size with extreme preset. I can't make it this small using the extreme preset. still almost 2gb for the x86 version. The only thing I try to keep is the USB video/audio driver and the Intel Ethernet driver because they are needed for VM.. I was just trying to make a super tiny build for VM, any suggestions of what preset I am supposed to use? thanks!

more_horiz
Hello,

Maybe a silly question but once downloaded the preset, did you loaded it in winreducer ?

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hello,

Maybe a silly question but once downloaded the preset, did you loaded it in winreducer ?

Of course I did. The final iso size is somewhere around 1.9GB-2GB, I tried both the Pro and non-Pro iso, same results. Does it matter if I used an iso that is a two-in-one (Pro/non-pro) iso? It is only 32 bit version, only English language. 
Now I notice that preset doesn't ticked the winsxs compression option, I enabled it and now iso size goes down to 1.62GB, still far from 737 MB.

more_horiz
pricecaptain wrote:
[size=13.63636302947998]--> ISO size expected :
[/size]
[size=13.63636302947998][/size][size=13.63636302947998]x86[/size][size=13.63636302947998] =  737 MB (ISO reduced by 70%)[/size]
[size=13.63636302947998][/size][size=13.63636302947998]x64[/size][size=13.63636302947998] = 1110 MB (ISO reduced by 67%)[/size]

[size=13.63636302947998]I have question about the ISO size with extreme preset. I can't make it this small using the extreme preset. still almost 2gb for the x86 version. The only thing I try to keep is the USB video/audio driver and the Intel Ethernet driver because they are needed for VM.. I was just trying to make a super tiny build for VM, any suggestions of what preset I am supposed to use? thanks![/size]

Hi pricecaptain.
Can you tell us what is the ISO size before using WinReducer?

more_horiz
theKramer wrote:
pricecaptain wrote:
--> ISO size expected :
x86 =  737 MB (ISO reduced by 70%)
x64 = 1110 MB (ISO reduced by 67%)

I have question about the ISO size with extreme preset. I can't make it this small using the extreme preset. still almost 2gb for the x86 version. The only thing I try to keep is the USB video/audio driver and the Intel Ethernet driver because they are needed for VM.. I was just trying to make a super tiny build for VM, any suggestions of what preset I am supposed to use? thanks!

Hi pricecaptain.
Can you tell us what is the ISO size before using WinReducer?

2.71 GB (2,915,131,392 bytes)
This ISO directly comes from Microsoft MSDN. en_windows_8_1_x86_dvd_2707392

more_horiz
thank you winterstorm.  will check out the article.  i'm also having the same problem as pricecaptain.  my iso is also 2gb...

more_horiz
Hello guys,

I've updated the EXTREME Preset for v1.13 .... You will have the best experience ever made for Windows 8.1 !

Wink

P.S. : You could use it to create your own wccf presets files !

more_horiz
I've made some new tests and unfortunately Office 2013 is not working with "Extreme" preset v1.13 !  Sad 

more_horiz
very nice improvements.. iso size goes down.still notice that the feature tab is grayed out..

more_horiz
Hello guys,

The download link source has been updated to support v1.19 minimum !

more_horiz
Hello,

The preset is available, and compatible with v1.21, so it have all recent changes included ... Especially Office 2013 support ...

I've done my best to create a good preset but you need to carefully read the text file in the zip package (or read the first post in this thread, because you will have some settings to adapt to your own needs before "APPLY" your changes.

The most important points are : "configure Printers and Scanners drivers", and unattended tab options ...
Wink

more_horiz
Hello,

Based on the excellent work of KrX (he updated and checked all presets !) so I've added all files in the 1st post.

All files are compatible with EX-70, EX-81 and EX-100 !

more_horiz
Winter i just saw this post....I want to be sure that these have been updated for the newest version or 7 and 10?

Thanks!

more_horiz
takitezsdc wrote:
Winter i just saw this post....I want to be sure that these have been updated for the newest version or 7 and 10?

Thanks!

yes. but, there soon will be a stable version of EX100. My advice is to wait a little more Smile

more_horiz
thanks

more_horiz
Hi Winter,
Good day
I am a big fan of your work. Much appreciated
I am using your Win 7 extreme preset modified to my needs (here) and Win7reducer 1.8.8.0, freshly downloaded yesterday
Installing it in VMware
Win 7 install fine, reduced iso size 1.35gb, final disk footprint on a fresh install 2.90gb ( Though nowhere close to 737mb, I would love to reach this target)
RAM footprint ~0.5gb
BUT...
VMware tools fail to install with these errors

Code:

Setup failed to install the VSock Virtual Machine Communication Interface Sockets driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually.

Code:

Setup failed to install the Memory Control driver automatically.  This driver will have to be installed manually

Without VMware tools, I can't share setup files (for another browser) between host and guest VM
and as I removed default IE8 browser with no backup, so can't go online to do download another browser.
Could you please have a look at my wccf file and point me to what I am doing wrong? And what else I can do to slim it down further, to 737mb?
Another curious thing I discovered, WIn7reducer was able to complete the task and save the final iso in Work>iso folder, but got stuck in final cleanup (or whatever it does after completion) and 12 hours later I had to resort to task manager to close it.
May be it's due to compatibility with Win 11? My Win 10 got upgraded to 11 couple of weeks ago. Not sure if 7reducer liked it..

Edit: I tried to install MS Teams on this Win 7, but as Teams install DotNet4.0 as a part of installation, .net4.0 installation failed, failing Teams installation. Tried to install .net4.5 with same results.
So, is it possible to slipstream .net4.0/4.5 package in iso? If yes, how?

more_horiz
Hello ruchirrathore Smile

I had a look at your wccf and I saw that you correctly activated "Protect VMware Player and Workstation". Unfortunately, I've tried in a genuine Windows 7 ISO, and even in ti VMware tools, in VMware Player 16, are unable ti be installed no matter what I choose. And after some searches. I found that this is because ms changed the hash driver signing (updated to sha2), so you need to install a specific update to get it to work : KB4474419 (source). Here is the direct download link from MS servers for this update :
- x64
- x86
I successfully tested this solution in a genuine ISO and with your wccf ... you can install this update using 2 techniques :
- slipstream it using EX-70 (before installation)
- install it after installation (I tested this and it worked)

About the long process, have you temporary disabled your antivirus ? Because it may slow down the WinReducer cleanup, 12 hours seems to be really big though.

About the ISO size optimization, the question is still the same (win7, win8, win8.1, win10 and win11) : how to reduce the size without breaking functionalities ? I always think that the best ISO size is the one which will be the most efficient for a specific user needs ... but you can activate "the WinSXS Cleanup" for both the boot and install wim, (be advised of 2 points : it may take time to cleanup and that may also break some functionalities you may need) and of course with a x32 you may achieve a better size reduction than a x64 ISO. In fact, at some point, if you want to get more cleanup, you will need to try each components if it won't break the windows functionalities you need for you own use.

About Net4.5, I tried to install directly net 4.8 offline package (which is backward compatible with net4.5) and it worked perfectly (maybe installing the update mentioned above solve the problem).

So to resume, compared to your wccf, I just not removed "Services - Windows Error Reporting Service".

PS : I have to admit, that using windows 7 (for this test) is still a pleasure many years later ... very responsive and very fast Wink

more_horiz
@ruchirrathore - Good points made within the quest of further reducing 7 - and wondered myself on how WR was working out thus far on a Win11 OS - as for how both integrations & editing conflicts go, also....can say some great points and tips from Winter's reply as well - applying the KB4474419 update, also the .net 4.8 offline pkg, and maybe leaving the Windows error reporting service, plus considering the cleanup process details - these things I usually apply myself as a part of a "kit" archive I keep handy in building a new Win7 image and has prevented a lot of glitches on a post install. Keep those points in mind and see how it goes.

I used to be in the game of stripping down 7 as for overall image size and removing the unwanted features, but in time just focused on few key features and mostly tweaks preset - rolling with whatever the overall size is in the end - I guess to ensure less conflicts or sacrifices in consistent functionality - another thing is the contrasting comparison of 7 vs 10 when it comes to component breaking and functionality loss(es) not to mention the bloated image size overall - to me the customizing of 7 is much less of hassle - and can always integrate or add in additional features to be current on a as needed basis. I still keep a couple units kicking along with 7 though - happy to say they holding up well and better than expected.

Then again is always a fun challenge to see just how minimal can one go(?) - who knows I may give it a spin myself for kicks to see how thin can get a image made since been a while...doesn't hurt to have a light one handy for speedier purposes that's for sure. Of course that's where WR comes in and has always been a great resource in compiling "that ideal OS image" for purposes where the end user is concerned.

PS: (@winterstorm2050) - Ok so if even for testing purposes - win7 not so bad huh? lol Laughing  I can imagine is sort of a break though from the current scheme of things anyway, with all of the new challenges ahead.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum