The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionNeed some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...) EmptyNeed some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...)

more_horiz
This tool seems to have a lot of promise, and I'm eager to build a working ISO/USB-Installer with it. Thank you, Winterstorm, for your time to create it.

However, some of the options I do find very confusing, since there is no actual tutorial or even short info anywhere to be found.

Since WinReducer switches randomly between [checked=INSTALL] and [checked=DON'T INSTALL] for various option pages, I don't actually know on some pages if I should check or uncheck the boxes to get the desired result. On some pages it is explained what the checkbox means, but on many it isn't.

Like on these pages of the Components Reducer category, for example - does checked mean the features WILL BE installed, or does it mean they WON'T BE installed?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In my opinion it would be less confusing if all the checkboxes on all pages were like this, for example - that would take the guesswork out of the problem:

And then there's the part about drivers, updates, and .NET 3.5 integration:

When I check the Drivers checkbox, the popup asks me for the folder with "prepared drivers for Windows 8." How do I prepare those drivers? I assume I can't just link to plain .exes, the drivers probably need a special format? Or maybe they just need to be extracted, so I have the usual .cat, .inf, .dll, .sys files? Either way, I have no clue as to what WinReducer wants me to do.

When I check the Updates checkbox, the popup asks me if I "want to keep my saved folder" - I have no clue what that means, there is no reference to a "saved folder" anywhere else. How do I integrate updates? Also, the Update Download Tool button is greyed out - how does one activate it, and where does it get its updates from?

The .NET 3.5 integration wants the root sxs folder, I assume, not a specific *netfx35* folder? Because there are about 40 of those in the sxs component storage. Smile

I'd be very grateful for some clarifications - thanks in advance!

descriptionNeed some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...) EmptyRe: Need some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...)

more_horiz
Hi and welcome,

1) in components reducer tab : everything you check will be removed

2) For Drivers folder : you need to add a folder for each drivers containing all *.inf and .sys files, etc ...  (no *.exe)

3) For net framework 3.5 folder : just point to your ISO sxs folder (in sources folder), and everything will be installed automatically

4) for updates folder : just choose a folder by hitting no, and "Download updates button will be available

Let me know if you have troubles ... Very Happy

descriptionNeed some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...) EmptyRe: Need some clarification about usage (checkboxes, popups, folders...)

more_horiz
Thank you very much for your reply, Winterstorm. This clears things up for me. Smile

In the meantime, I saved my check/uncheck steps as a preset and looked at the XML/WCCF if I guessed right about the options, heh.

Also downloaded the relevant Windows updates via WindowsHotfixDownloader - but now that you explained the function of the integrated updater to me, it's of course much more convenient! Very Happy

By the way, for people that want to have an overview of what the included fonts actually look like, here's the list of all MS fonts: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - makes it easier to decide which one to keep and which one to ditch.

more_horiz
You are welcome,

and your font link description is interesting, I will use it in the future, thank you very much !

Have a nice day Very Happy

more_horiz
Here's the font part of my .wccf. It has all non-Latin fonts removed (Chinese, Thai, Hebrew, etc.) and keeps all the Latin ones (several of those fonts include Cyrillic and Greek as well). You gotta hand it to Microsoft - most of their fonts are really pretty and useful. Smile

Code:

<Element Category="Fonts" Name="Static Cache for Windows Fonts" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Boot" Removed="true" Tips="Remove some uneeded boot fonts" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Aharoni Bold" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Aldhabi" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Andalus" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Angsana" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Aparajita" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Arabic Typesetting" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Batang" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Browallia" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Calibri" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Cambria" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Candara" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Consolas" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Constantia" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Corbel" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Cordia" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Courier New" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="DaunPenh" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="David" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="DFKai-SB" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Dillenia" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="DokChampa" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Ebrima" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Estrangelo Edessa" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Eucrosia" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Euphemia" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="FangSong" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Fixedsys Normal" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Fixedsys OEM" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Fixedsys System" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Fixedsys Terminal" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Franklin Gothic" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="FrankRuehl" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="FreesiaUPC" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Gabriola" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Gadugi" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Gautami" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Georgia" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Gisha" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Gulim" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Impact" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Iris" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Iskoola Pota" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Jasmine" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="KaiTi" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Kalinga" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Kartika" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Khmer UI" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Kodchiang" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Kokila" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Lao UI" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Latha" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Leelawadee" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Levenim" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Lily" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Lucida Sans Unicode" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Malgun Gothic" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Mangal" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Marlett" Removed="false" Tips="Necessary for Microsoft Windows and Office" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Meiryo" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft Himalaya" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft JhengHei" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft New Tai Lue" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft PhagsPa" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft Sans Serif" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft Tai Le" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft Uighur" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft YaHei" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Microsoft Yi Baiti" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MingLiU" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Miriam" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Mongolian Baiti" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MoolBoran" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MS Gothic" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MS Mincho" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MS Serif and Sans Serif" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="MV Boli" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Myanmar Text" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Narkisim" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Nirmala UI" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Nyala" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Palatino Linotype" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Plantagenet Cherokee" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Raavi" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Rod" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Sakkal Majalla" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Shonar Bangla" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Shruti" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="SimHei" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Simplified Arabic" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="SimSun" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Small Fonts" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Sylfaen" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Symbol" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Traditional Arabic" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Tunga" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Urdu Typesetting" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Utsaah" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Vani" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Vector (Modern, Roman and Script)" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Vijaya" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Vrinda" Removed="true" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Webdings" Removed="false" Tips="" />
    <Element Category="Fonts" Name="Wingdings" Removed="false" Tips="" /

The font folder looks like this after a fresh installation (the Meiryo font is still there for some reason, and it can't be deleted even after taking ownership of it, unfortunately):

more_horiz
Is the "split .wim" option supposed to work? I tried it four times, and it never split the file. I was checking the "split" box, and entered "1024" or "2000" for split size, but it didn't do it. Or is it supposed to only work with "create .wim", and not with "create wim + create .iso"? Had to split it manually with imagex and create a new bootable ISO with Imgburn.

It's really annoying that UEFI/GPT only supports FAT32 for USB sticks...

(One time I clicked on "create .wim + iso" before clicking the "advanced" button, and then there was no way back to select splitting at all, so I had to redo everything. :/ )

more_horiz
0x029A wrote:
Is the "split .wim" option supposed to work? I tried it four times, and it never split the file. I was checking the "split" box, and entered "1024" or "2000" for split size, but it didn't do it.
I haven't actually tried the split .wim option (haven't had the need to).

Just for testing purposes, I shall give It a shot, and reply with the outcome.

more_horiz
0x029A wrote:
Is the "split .wim" option supposed to work? I tried it four times, and it never split the file. I was checking the "split" box, and entered "1024" or "2000" for split size, but it didn't do it. Or is it supposed to only work with "create .wim", and not with "create wim + create .iso"? Had to split it manually with imagex and create a new bootable ISO with Imgburn.

It's really annoying that UEFI/GPT only supports FAT32 for USB sticks...

(One time I clicked on "create .wim + iso" before clicking the "advanced" button, and then there was no way back to select splitting at all, so I had to redo everything. :/ )
I confirm : it's a winreducer bug ... I will fix it tomorrow with your font bug ... Thank you for your feedback !

Very Happy

more_horiz
After testing It, I can also confirm that It didn't work.

Good to read that the bug will be fixed.
Thanks Winter.

more_horiz
Ok, I made a stupid mistake for split wim function, but it's solved now ...

Unfortunately, there is no bug for Meiryo font. Did you select the protect presets "Protect MS Office" ? because with this preset the meiryo font is kept even if you want to remove it ... We have made some tests and this font was needed for MS Office so ... I can't do something about that Very Happy

more_horiz
WinReducer 8 - v1.02 available with split wim fix ...
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum