The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionMove on EmptyMove on

more_horiz
Move on

As there is very little movement onto the forum, I think it is time to move on a bit
What can be done Next :
For Winterstorm:
remove exe's & dll's leftovers
--
see also for Winterstorm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Remove  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mpssvc] in opder to remove
remove blocking items by Windows Defender ,C:\Windows\system32\\FirewallAPI.dll is the
Windows Defender execurable and can be removed
Registrar (TrustedInstaller if needed) is the only registry editor that cnm remove those at once & completedly
--
see also for Winterstorm
Remove all code concerning Office for those that do not need them or use an alternative
--
For experimented users to test:
--
Delete  useless exe's & dll's
in C:\Windows\System32\ :
provtool.exe                          83 456
provlaunch.exe                      61 440
provthrd.dll                           313 856
ProvSysprep.dll                      78 336
ProvPluginEng.dll                    91 136
provplatformdesktop.dll           387 584
provpackageapidll.dll              141 824
provops.dll                             294 400
provmigrate.dll                       108 032
ProvisioningHandlers.dll          244 736
provisioningcsp.dll                  232 448
provisioningcommandscsp.dll    76 288
provhandlers.dll                       271 872
provengine.dll                          379 392
provdiagnostics.dll                     21 504
provdatastore.dll                         97 280
provcore.dll                               802 816

in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
provlaunch.exe                             44 544
provthrd.dll                                  235 520
provplatformdesktop.dll                257 536
provmigrate.dll                              76 800
provisioningcommandscsp.dll        56 832
provcore.dll                                 575 488
Thes Files do nothing usefull,
instead they fill the Temp directory within seconds with lots & lots of empty directories
and use power
--
Registries that can be completedly deleted ,prevent making logs in seconds and have no influence onto Windows 10 working
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpResources\Registry\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winevt]
And also delete the logsdirectory  : c:\Windows\System32\winevt\ that is useless now
Registrar (TrustedInstaller if needed) is the only registry editor that can remove those at once & completedly
--
Prevent making symbolic links in seconds with the registry below :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
@=dword:00000001
"Start_SearchFiles"=dword:00000000
"Start_TrackProgs"=dword:00000000
"Start_TrackDocs"=dword:00000000
"Start_JumpListItems"=dword:00000000
"JumpListItems_Maximum"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\People]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\People\ShoulderTap]
"ShoulderTap"=dword:00000000
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
c:\Users\Noel\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ is the directory where all the hyperlinks
were continuously stored,this directory is useless now and can be deleted,
to do so remove all attributes of this directory and delete
----
Removing all Prov* items,WINEVT & hyperlinks will prevent a lot of fragmentation of the Windows partition
if there  is a lot of ram then also  the paging file can be disabled

icy

descriptionMove on EmptyRe: Move on

more_horiz
Hello Icy,
I'm pretty impressed.
It would be pretty awesome if you could tell me/us how to find out all this.
E.g. How you identify  "useless exe's & dll's" or find out that "Thes Files do nothing usefull, instead they fill the Temp directory within seconds with lots & lots of empty directories and use power"?

Maybe a short tutorial would be great, so that other members could contribute better. Personally I am "trying" to reduce windows myself after using Winreducer. But my lack of knowledge how to do that and how to find out dependencies of components that I can&want to remove is preventing me to be productive.

Have a nice day!

more_horiz
Hi jeessee

I can not give You a tutorial,
it is a mix of  luck, persistence ,reasoning , knowledge , experience & not giving up
 I found out  that a lot of emty  directories were created in the Trmp directory in seconds, so i have been searching  a very long time to find out
A lot of  logs were created  by windows in the Winevt directory , completedly useless tfor me,but not for Microsoft , so i decided i was going to remove those and eventually found out
Also a lot of hyperlinks were  created from search , programs & documents , not needed for me  as i use mostly Everything to find something, so i also found out
those 3 items are  fragmenting my disks a lot , that is the prime reason for me to eleminate them,
also hibertate & paging framents heavily the disk
I use Raxo Perfect disk to reduces disk acces, this is a good  fragmentation preventer & defragmenter.
The more internal Windows programs that can be replaced , the better as i do not like that Windows is in control  , it should be me

icy

more_horiz
Hi Icy,
would have been great if there was an easier way to find out all of this Very Happy .
But then I will try it with "mix of luck, persistence ,reasoning , knowledge , experience & not giving up".

Thank you very much for your answer.

more_horiz
Hi jeessee

one advice : use registrar as registry editor,it  is a REGEDIT4 version editor
all verions 5 registry editors provide false information and do not remove a lot of thinfs
do not use  Notepad ,wordpad or any other editor coming from Microsoft  or assembled
with Microsoft compilers, they change a lot of code  while saving  and i am not crazy,
there is a routine in windows 10 to do this.
I use Notepad2, there are several versions,
download here the correct version , ideal to work with  registies
 you can use it instead of microsoft wordpad

icy

more_horiz
hello,

a small "trick" i like is to right click on the small bar on every window where "name" "type" ect stands and click on "more" (hopefully its called so in an english windows) and than activate "file description", so you can see for what those files are used:

Move on Unbena16

more_horiz
Hi KrX
Thank You for the little trick.
Mauby a corner can be created somrwhere tn the forum for all  kind of tricks etc ?? 

icy

more_horiz
icy007 wrote:
Hi KrX
Thank You for the little trick.
Mauby a corner can be created somrwhere tn the forum for all  kind of tricks etc ?? 

icy

Yes, that would be awesome.

@icy: what do you mean by "they change a lot of code while saving". They change e.g. the text-file i am editing in an unintended way?

more_horiz
Well jeessee

When editing  a registry  with notepad i remarked that pieces of code are frquently changed ,
there is code inside Windows 10 that is doing it when using  microsoft's notepad & some other programs  like emeditor
this was never the case with Windows 7.
So i have been searching for a small  editor that is not manipulated by Windows 10 code,
Notepad2  is just perfect for editing registries

icy

more_horiz
Hi
Read this
 and there is a lot more not documented

Never use the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 or version  5 based  registry editor
as there are a lot of dirty tricks inside to mislead , a lot of registries are protected or hidden and can not be deleted
registries in safe mode are different from normal mode
a registry item deleted in mormal mode  reappears in safe mode
Registrar is aREGEDIT4  mode  registry editor which under t TrustedInstaller / system mode deletes anything,
so be carefull as your O.S can become broken or useless
and the registries under REGEDIT4  mode are smaller & different from Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

icy

more_horiz
Thank you very much for this information.
I always used Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 and used Notepad. Looks like i've got a lot to learn.
I will look into it.

jeessee

more_horiz
About the 3 registies below ,, mentioned in the first paragraph

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\PnpResources\Registry\HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winevt]

These must be deleted when all  programs are installed  , NordVPN is not installing when these registries are removed as there is ia stack problem,
removing these  after NordVpn  is installed then it is OK ,all working
To remove these is possible with Regustrar registry editor with TrustedInstaller rights,Registrar must also be registered under TrustedInstaller rights 
in order to work
After these registries are removed You need to reboot  and delete  c:\Windows\System32\winevt\  with TrustedInstaller rights
Download http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/fulleventlogview.zip ,,open FullEventLogView.exe and You will see that  all events are gone forever..

Your Windows disk will get a lot less fragmentation when all items from above  paragraph are removed

icy
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum