The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionSafe to remove Fonts? EmptySafe to remove Fonts?

more_horiz
Which fonts are safe to remove from Windows 10 Pro via WinreducerEX-10

descriptionSafe to remove Fonts? EmptyRe: Safe to remove Fonts?

more_horiz
Hi PolisP
Do not remove 
 Consolas (needed for Office & some programs)
Segoe MDL2 Assets 
Segoe Script
Segoe UI Symbol used as Symbol icons

icy

more_horiz
I am also interested!
Time ago I have done some quick searches and basically what is safe to remove depends from the applications. Except the ones you recommended to keep the best would be to keep all the others in a backup folder for a quick restore (followed by a cache refresh command) in case that an app needs a particular font. Then, once the system is stable enough, delete the backup folder.
In the rare case we install a new app that ask for a missing font, it can be taken from the ISO at "boot\fonts" (although I remember that the installed fonts were more than the ones available here).
Except for some fonts, size for the other does not seems to take too much.

More than the size, what interest me is the fact that I have read that fonts are preloaded in the kernel meaning that they will consume system resources even when not in use.
Some people recommends to remove most possible fonts to improve performance, other people says that this is just a myth and make no difference unless we have a system with hundreds of fonts. There are conflicting reports on this!
In addition to fonts loaded in background on system boot, I also noticed that when we open Photoshop, Gimp and similar I can see in the log that loading fonts takes time and this for sure depends from the number of fonts loaded in the system. They don't seem to load fonts on demand (when we open the font picker), but directly on application boot.
Icy, did measured consumed resources in task manager or similar tools before and after fonts removal? Did improved the loading of programs?
I see that you removed nearly all the fonts, therefore may be it should be a bit better.

more_horiz
The former should not removed in order to avoid problems
Below is my list,but that may not be yours
Static Cache for Windows Fonts , this is also needed
Boot Fonts
Arial
Calibri
Cambria
Candara
Consolas
Fixedsys Normal
Fixedsys System
Gabriola
MS Gothic
MS Serif
MS Sans Serif
Segoe MDL2 Assets
Segoe Script
Segoe UI Symbol

icy

more_horiz
In fact, the first list you posted seemed very short to me. Did you found any advantage in removing the fonts?

more_horiz
The first list are fonts not to be deleted
Static Cache for Windows Fonts also should not be deleted
icy

more_horiz
The first list are fonts not to be deleted
Static Cache for Windows Fonts also should not be deleted
icy

more_horiz
Thanks for the list, icy! It's a good starting point. If your list works it will be more than enough. 

You didn't removed system fonts, right? In other words, you just removed all the fonts that Windows allow to safely remove from the settings app, right? Because I have read that when system fonts are removed, it is problematic to restore them (this is why Windows does not allow to remove these fonts, but winreducer allows!).

Font cache removal followed by system restart seems to be required:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also discovered that a big performance boost can be gained by disabling Windows font cache service:
People reported applications loading nearly instantly with the service disabled.
However I don't know if there are contraindications.
This service is supposed to help speedup performance. Instead people reports performance boost only after disabling it.
It's not my time to play with fonts now, but as soon as possible I will try to update this topic with my findings.

more_horiz
davidoff458 wrote:
More than the size, what interest me is the fact that I have read that fonts are preloaded in the kernel meaning that they will consume system resources even when not in use.
Some people recommends to remove most possible fonts to improve performance, other people says that this is just a myth and make no difference unless we have a system with hundreds of fonts. There are conflicting reports on this!
In addition to fonts loaded in background on system boot, I also noticed that when we open Photoshop, Gimp and similar I can see in the log that loading fonts takes time and this for sure depends from the number of fonts loaded in the system. They don't seem to load fonts on demand (when we open the font picker), but directly on application boot.
Icy, did measured consumed resources in task manager or similar tools before and after fonts removal? Did improved the loading of programs?
I see that you removed nearly all the fonts, therefore may be it should be a bit better.

That right there is EXACTLY why i was looking to remove as much useless fonts as possible.

more_horiz
davidoff458 wrote:
It's not my time to play with fonts now, but as soon as possible I will try to update this topic with my findings.

Alright, any help is really appreciated, since the ISO that im creating, i remove as much garbo as possible, for maximum performance
and im sure others will benefit from anyones help aswell

more_horiz
Did you tried the trick above?
Be careful on how you customize your iso if you take care of updates:

more_horiz
davidoff458 wrote:
Did you tried the trick above?
Be careful on how you customize your iso because WR is broken and updates does not work anymore:

I disable and break windows updates completely intentionally

"Did you tried the trick above?"
if your talking about when you said to disable font cache service, then yes i have tried it, no difference, since I have an SSD, and high speed ram.

more_horiz
Mhhh...without cumulative updates you're going to have troubles soon or later.

more_horiz
Never experienced any problems removing:

Static Cache for Windows Fonts
Boot Fonts
Arial
Calibri
Cambria
Candara
Fixedsys Normal
Fixedsys System
Gabriola
MS Gothic