The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install Empty[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install

more_horiz
Cumulative updates (the current is KB4530684) fails to install with the following error:
"We Couldn't Complete the Updates Undoing Changes"

The log states that cannot find this service:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\8B24B027-1DEE-BABB-9A95-3517DFB9C552
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RequestedAppCategories\2E0E28BB-7203-436A-8142-3F154462444C

Deleting these keys allows the update to successfully complete.
Seems that when removing services, WR forget to remove the corresponding entries above (and probably for other services too).
Changing from removed to default value only partially fixed the problem. Althogh the update process continue, it get soon stuck in "Preparing to configure Windows" forcing to power off-on (until successfully completes).
The log states that cannot find service "855E8A7C-ECB4-4CA3-B045-1DFA50104289" (which seems to be the one that should contains all the entries).

However, this only on minimal ISOs built for debugging purpose. As soon as I start removing components, the update fails again.
At this point I aborted any further research because it's just impossible to deal with that!

Now, from this topic seems that the author implemented cumulative updates support years ago and it is stated that it works as long as "Optimizations - EXPERT - WinSxS Folder Cleanup (install.wim)" is not enabled.
Of course, I have also enabled Updates protection mode, but nothing. 
Therefore I must assume that this a bug, and a very serious bug.

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install

more_horiz
Happened to me when I removed a service which got an update with the cumulative update.
So every time you install an cumulative update and there is an update for a removed service then it can not be installed completely.

I moved to disable the services, works better but even then I had troubles when I disabled the wrong one   Shocked

description[EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install EmptyRe: [EX-100 - v2.3.0.0] [19H2 Build 18363.418] Serious bug report: Cumulative update fails to install

more_horiz
closing this old bug.

i posted some things that broke WU here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum