The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed? Empty[ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed?

more_horiz
Hi,

After created a .ISO removing some things and booting in a VM (Parallels) in a SSD HD, take almost 2 hours in the screen below, any tip to improve the install speed?

[ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed? W9U39DN

description[ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed?

more_horiz
hi,

so you want to know how to speed up installation for an VM ?

if yes, i also use an SSD and i got my VM and my iso file on the same SDD/Partition. with an unattanded file it takes like 12 minutes for me (removed like 90% what winreducer offers + expert options especially winsxs)

if not, and you want to install it on a real machine, i use my iso on an usb drive (usb3 + usb3 port). i install it on an SSD on my notebook (m.2 ssd) and after removing a lot of stuff it takes for win10 maybe 15 minutes.

description[ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Any tip to improve install speed?

more_horiz
KrX wrote:
hi,

so you want to know how to speed up installation for an VM ?

if yes, i also use an SSD and i got my VM and my iso file on the same SDD/Partition. with an unattanded file it takes like 12 minutes for me (removed like 90% what winreducer offers + expert options especially winsxs)

Hi!

Thank you! I you will try to put the ISO on the same SDD to see if improve the install speed.

I normally do the tests on a VM then I do a SYSPREP after customize the install, create an image with Clonezilla and then restore this in my real machine.

more_horiz
Hello,

This option you activated in your screenshot is a time consuming during installation.

Maybe you could try without using it, options names are "Unattended - WinSXS DISM Cleanup" and "Unattended - WinSXS DISM Cleanup (ResetBase)".

Your installation time will be greatly reduced.

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hello,

This option you activated in your screenshot is a time consuming during installation.

Maybe you could try without using it, options names are "Unattended - WinSXS DISM Cleanup" and "Unattended - WinSXS DISM Cleanup (ResetBase)".

Your installation time will be greatly reduced.

Thank you!

I will try that too.

EDIT: I disabled the suggested option and now the install is about 5 minutos, putting the ISO in the same SSD HD before install, thanks!

more_horiz
I have been using KRX's method as well ever since he turned me on to using a USB stick instead of DVD's.  The USB was a whole lot faster and then when Amazon put some 8GB SSD's on sale I snagged me a set of 4 for $20 and that really speeded things up and now I can do quite a few more builds in a day than before.  Thanks again KRX!!!  Razz  I also keep everything I don't want wiped out every time I do a new install on Windows on a separate partition so it's easy to get to.  All my drivers and favorite software like Firefox, music, my space strategy game, and YES of course WinReducer and ISO's, lives on a totally separate partition and so that in itself certainly makes life so much easier and faster.

I just remembered too that since I have been involved with the Win Reducer project that I replaced my old hard drives in both my computers with Solid State Drives and speed difference is incredible.  So when you couple the use of SSD drives with SD cards and USB sticks everything speeds up the whole building process.  When I first started out doing builds in was a very long tedious process and like I said earlier, I can now knock out quite a few builds in a day.  I already did 15 today (almost one an hour) and started each build out with a fresh ISO each time.

I have also learned that the less drivers needed the better.  Removing as many drivers as you can and also the less drivers you need for a build really makes a huge difference in not only the size of your final build but the install goes much quicker.  I noticed if I did not add any driver files whatsoever to a build that after the install there were only 3 devices that needed drivers and so those are the only ones I have included in the build.  This whole process is a huge learning experience and learning from each other makes it all the more enjoyable.  We all have each other to thank for making the whole project a big success and a lot of fun.

Geekster
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum