The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionOptional components (OCR) install fails EmptyOptional components (OCR) install fails

more_horiz
Hi.

Trying to make some new reduced windows setup. Maybe somebody can help me with a small problem. I am using Windows 10 dutch b1511. After installing windows is trying to install new optional components. These are language installs for Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and typing for United States. What can I remove to stop initialising these installs. I have tried to remove United States language but that did not work. Also removed the Touch panel and Handwriting service.

What can I add or remove to remove these install fails?

Thanks.

descriptionOptional components (OCR) install fails EmptyRe: Optional components (OCR) install fails

more_horiz
Hello,

Could you please send me your wccf, I will be able to try it in order to reproduce this. And if you used "Unattended" tab, please do not forget to remove your serial number Wink

Thanks.

descriptionOptional components (OCR) install fails EmptyRe: Optional components (OCR) install fails

more_horiz
Here is my latest wccf.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

more_horiz
Hello,

I've tried your wccf, but nothing happened : windows didn't force download things.

Have you, after the installation, installed some software or hardware (printer for example) which may require some missing windows element ?

more_horiz
That's strange. No just a clean install from that wccf. Then the cumulative update (KB313517)

I have just noticed that in regional and language settings the English (United States) package isn't installed. When I press to go further the control panel crashes. I did not remove English (United States) language in Winreducer.

Are you sure you also have access to the english package without crashes?

I am using the Win10_1511_Dutch_x32.iso.

Edit: Probably my fault. I removed Language settings and also Region and Language from control panel. Building a new iso now. I will see how that turns out.

Edit: Finished installing and updating. With the added Language components in the control panel. Still there is the install fail of OCR and the control panel crash of the language selection when selecting options for English (United States).

Still I do not have no idea what the problem is and why my wccf worked when Winterstorm2050 tested it.

more_horiz
Hi again.

Last message for now. Going to drop the whole winreduce project for now. Always liked to experiment since NLite for Windows XP. Had some great fun over the years with making reduced Windows os's.

Have tried some new profiles and still problems with optional updates with my configuration. Maybe I will just disable notifications in tweaks to hide the existence of the problem. Or remove the action center all together.

I have searched the possibility to disable the optional updates within the registry but it is integrated within the automatic updates. Changed the automatic updates within gpedit.msc to manual but still the optional update fail remains.

The only reference of the problem was here at:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It seems no one else within the winreducer community has any clue how this can be resolved. Thankfully Winterstorm2050 has tried to test my wccf earlier and could not reproduce the same error.

I am trying for several days now. Starting with a basic strip to a complete overhaul. I am completely stumped about how and why. Maybe because it's a dutch setup iso. If I use a english setup iso it will probably be ok.

Trying some last desperate wccf's and then back to a Windows 7 setup.

Thanks again.

more_horiz
can't you just disable automatic download & update of everything, not just MS stuff.

more_horiz
Hi.

The problem starts after the first cycle of updating windows. I could disable windows update all together but that will mean that I never can update anything later.

After checking for updates it tries to install OCR and typing. Then the problem begins. Since windows does not detect an installed United States language but I did not remove in within Winreducer.

So I still haven't got a clue why this happens. Why the language settings are broken. Is it the dutch iso. What am I doing differen't than everyone else that is using a reduced Dutch windows setup. Did not have this problem with 10240 build of Windows 10. Only with the clean 10586 build.

Will leave it as it is for the moment. Winreducer is still in its alpha stage and some quirks may pop up every now and then. Maybe the problem will be found and fixed in later versions if the problem is there to find.

more_horiz
Hello,

I don't think this is related to the dutch iso, there are no reasons for it.

I've just tried again, and proceed to the update after installation, Windows tried to install 1 component but not the OCR.

The main operation, to do in such case, is to create a new build step by step (I mean remove a list of components (all "Accessories" for example) and not all at the same time) in order to find which component(s) may cause the trouble. Then, if there are no troubles, remove another list of components ("Languages") ... and check what happen.

Of course to do this, you need to use a virtual machine (vmware player or virtualbox) in order to avoid installing each ISO in your real computer !

This will greatly help to have a fast fix.

I wish you to have anice day !

more_horiz
Starting new test builds from now on. Every step will include last removals.

Test build 00: Installed original iso. Only Dutch language present in regional settings. Finished install. No problems found.

Test build 01: Winreduced iso. Removed languages except Dutch, Japan and English. Finished install. No problems found.
Test build 02: Removed extended features. Except search, work folders, etc. Finished install. No problems found.
Test build 03: Removed Accessoires. Except the basics. Finished install. Problem found.
Adding English (United States) to Language settings starts install fail OCR components. Not able to remove language package from windows update queue.
Have to try original setup if same problem exists. Not a problem in further builds if no additional languages are added.

Tried original setup. Language install works. Will try build 01 with languages removed for language install test.

Test build 04: Set Black Viper services. Added extra cleanup. Finished install. No problems found.
Test build 05: Removed Control Panel components. Removed Fonts. No problems found.
Test build 06: Removed Keyboards. Removed Modern UI apps. No problems found.
Test build 07: Removed Multimedia. Removed Network. No problems found.
Test build 08: Removed Themes. Added user account preferences. Problem found.
First time English (United States) language appeared in control panel next to dutch. Maybe problem lies within user account preferences. Still updating. Next reboot will reveal if OCR components will start to fail. Rebooted. OCR components failing.

Test build 09: Added first pass tweaks. Second pass. Added revised unattend settings. Problem resolved.
Removed System Language Netherlands. Removed Keyboard English (US).
Test build 10: Replaced Keyboard English (US) with Dutch. Problem resolved.

After lots of reducing the solution seemed so simple. Keyboard English (US) can't be chosen in the unattend section. This will trigger the English (United States) language update that can't be installed and the continuous install fail of the OCR components. Still have to try a reduced iso with language pack support to see if English (US) can be installed. If not then Language pack support seems to be broken.

Tested build 01 with only languages removed. Still can add English language. Somewhere in reducing this gets broken. Yet to find where it happens.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum