The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer? Empty[ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer?

more_horiz
I'm confused with the section in Winreducer with user folder section where it says it won't install properly unless I create them. So I typed C:/user/mike/downloads...etc  and I just realized it screwed them up to where the folders show up but they don't really exist, unusable. If I leave those options blank will Windows create them as normal or am I supposed to type something specific in each one?
I didn't follow the %user...whatever it said in the help menu

description[ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer?

more_horiz
hi,

i didnt use this option so im not really sure. but if you type i.e. "C:/userprofiles/downloads" you will need to go to your winreducer folder -> \work\mount\" and create an folder "userprofiles" and also at userprofiles the "downloads" folder (so they will need to be present before installing windows.

i can remember that there was an "bug" related to this option, but im not sure about it.

this option is only needed if you want to change the default path to your folders

description[ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Do I have to create user folders in Winreducer?

more_horiz
Hello,

Since Windows 8.1 (and Windows 10), there are no troubles because as far as I remember they will be auto created by the system during installation.

In fact, for a general use, you do not have to change them, I mean if it's just to change the location in your Windows C:\ drive, I think there is no interest to do that, it should better to leave it like it is .... but if you want to keep all your documents in a safe place between each Windows reinstallation, this is a much better idea to use this.

In other words, and if I take my own system : I'm using this to be sure to keep all my documents in another HDD on my computer. So, I've created all user folders in a folder named "D:\DOCUMENTS" which includes all folders (documents, links, favorites, Pictures, ...)
... so using this method, and even if I reinstall Windows very often (my own case), I'm sure to keep in a safe place all the content of these folders, and they will be automatically restored like Favorites, Desktop (for icons) or Links folders !

more_horiz
KrX wrote:
hi,

i didnt use this option so im not really sure. but if you type i.e. "C:/userprofiles/downloads" you will need to go to your winreducer folder -> \work\mount\" and create an folder "userprofiles" and also at userprofiles the "downloads" folder (so they will need to be present before installing windows.

i can remember that there was an "bug" related to this option, but im not sure about it.

this option is only needed if you want to change the default path to your folders

Thanks, that's what I wanted to clarify. Going to skip this section next time. I couldn't even download anything from the internet, I guess because it didn't know where my downloads folder was?

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hello,

Since Windows 8.1 (and Windows 10), there are no troubles because as far as I remember they will be auto created by the system during installation.

In fact, for a general use, you do not have to change them, I mean if it's just to change the location in your Windows C:\ drive, I think there is no interest to do that, it should better to leave it like it is .... but if you want to keep all your documents in a safe place between each Windows reinstallation, this is a much better idea to use this.

In other words, and if I take my own system : I'm using this to be sure to keep all my documents in another HDD on my computer. So, I've created all user folders in a folder named "D:\DOCUMENTS" which includes all folders (documents, links, favorites, Pictures, ...)
... so using this method, and even if I reinstall Windows very often (my own case), I'm sure to keep in a safe place all the content of these folders, and they will be automatically restored like Favorites, Desktop (for icons) or Links folders !

Actually the only reason I did anything there was because in the info menu it said I had to or windows won't install. lol,I just misunderstood. maybe in future version just mention only change if you want to change default path. The all caps warning looked scary.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum