The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] Been busy and have lots to report.................. Empty[ANSWERED] Been busy and have lots to report..................

more_horiz
I have so much stuff to post and I just hope it all lands in the right spot.  I got all set up to do some heavy testing of WinReducer100 v0.5.6.0 and at the same time gone back to work since the holidays are past.  So I've been spending a lot of late hours with the testing on two computers and have run into a lot of very major problems.  I will post those in the BUGS area.  Another problem in getting to this point is that I hadn't used Windows 10 much like I had Windows 8.1 and I was more comfortable with test WinReducer81 of course.  So its taken me some time to get a feel for Windows 10 and Microsoft sure made sure they have everyone confused.  First of all, there are a lot of versions of the Windows 10 ISO floating around out there and that in itself can get very confusing.  So for the record I have been testing WinReducer100 on TWO versions of the Technical Preview Releases both the Home Edition though. The two versions are quite different is size though.  Windows10_1511_English_X64 is now almost 4Gb in size.  That is the latest version they released to those of us that are members of Microsoft Insider.  The other version they released to the public is just over 3Gb in size.  So far I haven't really had that many differences in how WinReducer100 works with them. I am also testing on two separate computers.  One is an Acer Desktop and the other is a Dell Laptop and both have the I3 quad core CPU so they run about the same speed and work nicely for testing purposes.

I also ran into a lot of headaches just learning how to create a bootable flash drive.  It took forever for me to figure out that GPART partitions go with UEFI bootloaders and MBR partitions go with Legacy bootloaders.  Thankfully WinReducer makes it very easy to create a flash drive that works with both.  And I have KrX to thank for getting me into that mess in the first place  haha   Actually I am very glad he did because I needed to learn how to do all this. 

So in all my testing I learned a lot about Windows 10.  I actually like the UI Interface but I find it very confusing when they leave in a lot of classic stuff too that is just a duplicate of each other.  For instance there are two control panels.  And a lot of applications that are the classic control panel just take you right into the Modern UI Control Panel.  That must be a nightmare for WinterStorm to have to deal with.  It's almost as if we have to live with both of them.  It would be really nice if we could get rid of one or the other control panels.  Who needs two of them?  And then there is the new Start Menu and I like that a lot because its very powerful the way it's set up and it's more of a Windows 7 style.   It's a real mess though how Microsoft just moved everything around and makes you go on wild goose chase finding everything.  Like Windows Updates in one place with the Modern UI control panel and then they totally removed it from the Classic Control Panel.  Sad  

I am just glad to be a part of this project and hopefully WinReducer will take out a lot of the craziness that Microsoft threw our way.  And they are not even done.  There is still a lot of beta testing going on and I have already gotten a lot of updates on the Technical Preview Edition and that will just make this project even more important and at the same time keep all of us on our toes to watch for bugs to pop up outta nowhere.

So now I am off to do some bug reporting. 

Steve aka Geekster

description[ANSWERED] Been busy and have lots to report.................. EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Been busy and have lots to report..................

more_horiz
Geekster wrote:
And I have KrX to thank for getting me into that mess in the first place  haha   Actually I am very glad he did because I needed to learn how to do all this.

haha sure no problem Wink

once you have learned it its nicer and faster doing real live tests, and cheaper cause you dont need cds/dvds
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum