The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ? Empty[ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ?

more_horiz
Hi,

I have a ASUS eee pc 900, with a 4GB SSD and 1GB of RAM.

I already found remnants of discussions where people claimed they had 8.1 installed on their eee pc with 4GB SSD, using vlite or reducer.

Is this possible with redcuer ? I onyl want to use the eee pc to surf and maybe watch photos from USB or SD. I dont want to install any additional software,
except for amybe flash or VLC.

Is it possible to reduce windows 8.1 to around 3 gigabyte and still work "normally" with it ? Smile

Regards,
eee-man

description[ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ?

more_horiz
hi

i didnt try to reduce windows 8.1 very often, and i think you will use a 32bit version.

a 32bit version will be smaller than a 64 bit version, so if you dont need a lot of thing you can remove a lot with winreducer.

if i remember correctly i once created a 2.3gb windows 8.1 (64 bit) so it should definitly work for you

description[ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ? EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] Smallest possible 8.1 ?

more_horiz
Thank you for the fast and interesting reply, I sent you a personal message as Im from germany as well. Smile

more_horiz
eee-man wrote:
Thank you for the fast and interesting reply, I sent you a personal message as Im from germany as well. Smile

It should be possible, as far as hard disk space is concerned. But 1 GB of RAM sounds problematic. I just made a reduced X64 yesterday, and the install size was 3.6 GB. But there were quite a few things I did not remove. Also, installing drivers increased the space usage. Quick tip, get rid of:

1) Pagefile.
2) Hibernation.
3) Natural languages and IME.
4) All languages and keyboards you don't need.
5) All printer and scanner drivers.
6) All fonts except consolas and marlett.
7) Everything under multimedia. (You can install smaller and better image viewers and media players later.
Cool At least light cleanup of .net framework. You could get rid of it altogether, if you are sure you don't need it.

Compress winsxs.

Get rid of Windows defender, if you think there is little chance of malware infections.

That should give you an installation under 4 GB for X64. So X32 should be even smaller. Since you have only 1 GB RAM, X32 would be the better option.

There are plenty of other stuff to remove as well.

more_horiz
On the last 
TAB "Finish" 
TAB "ISO File Creator"
TAB "Optimizations"
Delete unneeded editions, 
Delete Unneeded Files,
Clean Boot Wim,
TAB "Finish"
TAB "Optimizations"
TAB "Windows"
Windows Unneeded Editions 

seems to reduce the size considerably but the boot.wim and Install.wim aren't in the root directory and doesn't boot the disk.

Another thing I have not been able to find anywhere online is a detailed instruction and function map to all of these features.

Removing functions, components and services is not a problem however the configuration of finalizing and creating the ISO is causing me a lot of issues.

While im here, I know its off topic but why does WinReduce EX81 activation keep on poping up, even after entering code, until I click cancel?

Any advice?

more_horiz
Most of the information you are asking for is covered in the Tutorials:

https://www.winreducer.net/tutorials.html

and things will not make a lot of sense until you have done a few builds successfully and anyone here will probably tell you that experience is your best teacher.  How to activate WinReduer itself is also covered in that tutorial web page.  There are two very good guides as far as understanding all the components (Features, Services, etc.).  One is using your mouse on each item and down below you will see a brief pop up synopsis of what that component does.  Also as is discussed on this site quite a bit is Black Viper's guide to many of the components as well at his website  http://www.blackviper.com 

And as far as creating an ISO or bootable USB that is also covered in the tutorials.  I started out burning ISO's like crazy until KrX on here told me to get some USB flash drives and those are much easier to deal with and much faster as well.

I hope that helps you get started.  If not, we are all here to help you get going.  I personally hate reading and learn better by doing and making lots of mistakes and I learned a lot just reading posts in the sections that I was interested in.  And like you I started out with Windows 8.1 and after doing quite a few builds I came up with my own set of presets

https://forum.winreducer.net/t1628-geekster-s-suggested-presets

I got bored with 8.1 and moved on to Windows 10 and have spent the last few weeks testing lots of builds. 

Geekster

more_horiz
Thanks Geekster, 

I am running a Winreduce build of 8.1 now probably a 4th or 5th attempt until I realisedwhat the Finish Tabs were doing.

Yes trail and error, gone through a few DVD's already. Wasnt sure about using USB because I didnt think it would boot.

I was installing on fresh formatted HDD until I got the Virtual Box and that has saved some troubles.

Will try the USB Builds and get back to you in a day or so.

Have checked all the mouse over hints but some still a little ambiguous.

Then there is that little blank box in the hints box with the OK button...once again not sure.

Response Very helpful though, checking those sites now.

Thanks

more_horiz
You are quite welcome and I'm glad to be of assistance. 

Geekster

more_horiz
Ryzler wrote:

Then there is that little blank box in the hints box with the OK button...once again not sure.

hi,

the OK box shows up when you select the Tweak:

Context Menu - Add Take Ownership (with Pause)

you can add in the textbox an Name which will be displayed in the kontextmenu

more_horiz
Ryzler wrote:
While im here, I know its off topic but why does WinReduce EX81 activation keep on poping up, even after entering code, until I click cancel? Any advice?

Hello,

This is the case with "Classic" and "Starter" Editions according to the editions comparison page available with this link (section "OPTIONS - CONFIGURATION - Hide Activation Window (Startup and Close)": https://www.winreducer.net/compare-editions.html

privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum