The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

descriptionFurther reduction may be possible EmptyFurther reduction may be possible

more_horiz
Hi,
I used Winreducer 8.1 v1.5.9 today, to reduce a Windows 8.1 core X64. The ISO had all the updates until Dec 2014 already integrated. I removed "speech", "natural languages" and anything to do with languages other than English. But after installation, I find that there are still hundreds of files that seem to be related to speech or natural languages. I'm wondering if these can be removed safely, for people who don't want speech or natural languages. This is what a search for "speech" and a search for "*.nls" showed:

(Most of them are in the winsxs folder.)

Further reduction may be possible UvqC3CQ

Further reduction may be possible LAWhY0M

descriptionFurther reduction may be possible EmptyRe: Further reduction may be possible

more_horiz
hey,

because of the nls files.

even if you want to remove the natural language you still need some files or your installation will fail.

for your search after "speech" it seems most (maybe all) files are at windows\winsxs, so i think you didnt use the expert option to remove the winsxs files (keep it if you need windows updates etc)

we know that winreducer is not cleaning all files, and this part is still being improved step by step

descriptionFurther reduction may be possible EmptyRe: Further reduction may be possible

more_horiz
^^
That is correct, I did not use one of the expert options for winsxs - the option to clean from install.wim, since I wanted to retain windows update. I used all the other options pertaining to cleaning winsxs.

Regarding the "speech" files, there are 78 of them in winsxs, and 94 in total in the windows folder (including winsxs). So there are 16 files outside winsxs.

Would removing all these cause issues? If not, then maybe these should be removed without having to use the expert option that breaks windows update.

more_horiz
i could think that the other files (or a part of it) are at

Windows\assembly
Windows\Microsoft.NET

both folders for Net framework

i remove files at this folders too, and i never got any problems

more_horiz
^^
Three files were in \assembly, and two in \Microsoft.net. I have removed them manually, and so far have not had issues.

What about the 85+ files in \winsxs, can those be removed? Most of them have file or foldernames in the pattern of *speech*.dll.

more_horiz
Hello,

You are right guys, I've missed them ... a fix will be added in the new major version available during next week !

I'm also preparing another major version for the 1st June 2015, with a new removing engine and many cleanup improvements ... Smile

Thanks for the report !

Have a good day !
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum