The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search Empty[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search

more_horiz
hey,

i tried the newest version of winreducer 10 and after removing stuff nothing happens when clicking on the START button.

as i can tell till now a service is causing it (an service with the first letter V or W, im still testing)

as soon as i got it i will post more

EDIT:

is either windows firewall or windows update service

EDIT2:

so its clearly the windows firewall service thats causing it

description[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search EmptyRe: [SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search

more_horiz
Hey KrX,

As soon as I could, I will have a look at WinReducer 10, because MS has made progress ... Wink

Have a good day !

description[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search EmptyRe: [SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search

more_horiz
so i hunted it down to 4 files (still testing) but Hen Ry contacted me and he posted this bug earlier here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

after finding this bug i will get a look why the searchbar does not work

more_horiz
so, removing all files winreducer removes when selecting windows firewall service and when removing this filesĀ  i can t start the startmenu (START button dont work)

del /q /f Windows\System32\MPSSVC.dll
del /q /f Windows\System32\de-DE\mpssvc.dll.mui
del /q /f Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys

and after removing ONLY this file:
del /q /f Windows\System32\wfapigp.dll

i get a blackscreen during the installation (where the setup is configuring devices, but removing it together with all the other files and the blackscreen dont appear, so its save but i wanted to mention it)

BUT using winreducer to remove windows firewall service and putting those 3 files back i cant start the startmenu again.

so it is also a registry thing or related to the service itself

more_horiz
win x64 default installation also startmenu not working.

[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search Deskto10

more_horiz
After i turn on Cortana settings... it works fine..

[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search Deskto11[SOLVED] version 10041, startmenu dont work + search Cortan10

more_horiz
hmm ok i will give it a try, but the search field isnt working too.

first i need to find whats causing that Razz

more_horiz
sure waiting for that.....
How is Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049???
bounce

more_horiz
i didnt try 10049 yet, but Hen Ry should be able to answer that

more_horiz
xithyl wrote:
sure waiting for that.....
How is Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049???
bounce

more_horiz
so; after removig

Remove - Modern UI Apps -> Cortana

the search isnt working at the taskbar

is that normal ? if no should i look what file is causing it ? ir should it be protected by the Windows Search preset ? (i used that preset and it Cortana was removed)

more_horiz
this issue is from March? why not resolve?

more_horiz
It's the same reason, that has been told you before...W10 isn't ready yet. Keep calm and stop to provoke the members !

more_horiz
hey,

its like caphp said, win10 was/is still in "beta" and not offically released yet. Thats why it didnt make much sense to Change a lot on winreducer10 when it could be that in the next win10 build it would be solved/or create another bug.

like i said, when Windows 10 will be officially released (should still be the 29th, July) winter will start doing improvements, and iĀ  also will start bug hunting

more_horiz
i tested it again and cortana app is removing also the search field in the taskbar. i dont know if thats ok for everyone but since my original bug report is solved (firewall breaking start menu) im marking it as solved.

edit: yes it seems that removing cortana also removes the search bar that thats wanted:

privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum