The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] General queries re using program Empty[ANSWERED] General queries re using program

more_horiz
Hi I am new to using the program.  I had to convert original esd in W.81 updates ISO/extracted folder to make wim file folder instead and then converted back new wim to esd and esd-ISO- hope this is correct procedure - I used winreducer wimconvertor.

Now when I want to add further updates in a few months time do I just load the folder with modified WIM and add new updates to this and again convert to new esd ISO for future use or have to repeat converting to wim from orig esd and then full update etc?

Also the preset tab for desktop -shutdown, restart etc - are the blank fields to rename these to what want or what meant to do here - can't find info on tutorial pdf?
Surprised
Also adding software from software folder under post install tab obee- do you need to add all files and folder or either?  Where do software files go - can't locate them on created iso so not sure if added correctly?

Furthermore - can winreduced ISOs or USBs/Wim files with alll updates and software added be used to refresh/reset an existing windows install the same way as original disks and is the refresh in windows 8/8.1 the same as xp's in place repair/upgrade so can also put existing windows to another motherboard or pc in case current one fails?

description[ANSWERED] General queries re using program EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] General queries re using program

more_horiz
1. no you can use that already modified .wim/.esd file to integrate updates in the future. (if you dont remove componets)
but if you remove some components it could be that when you integrate updates (in the future) that they will fail to integrate because components that are needed for those updates are missing

2. yes you can enter a name in the blank fields which will be shown

3. im not sure, it could be that you need to add 1 file, i.e an sfx file in which all files and folders are present. but i dont use this option so maybe someone else will answer that correctly

4. sure you could install that windows on your already existing windows (like with a normal /not touched windows ISO)
but (i cant really remember how it was with xp) if you install windows 8.1 over an already installed one (not formating) all files will be overwritten and you will get at C:\ a folder "windows_old" (or so) in which the "old system" is moved

description[ANSWERED] General queries re using program EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] General queries re using program

more_horiz
thanks reply

Also if someone else can answer  - Adding software from software folder under post install tab obee- do you need to add all files and folder or either?  Where do software files go - can't locate them on created iso so not sure if added correctly?

Also I am asking re refresh/reset option in windows 8.1 and 8 over exisiting install of same (not reinstall) -can the modified WIM/ISO/USB be used to repair install windows rather than the original ISO/WIM or is better to use original ISO,WIM particularly with refresh -will refresh keep existing windows updates as well or remove them having to redownload them?

more_horiz
astrogirl wrote:
Also I am asking re refresh/reset option in windows 8.1 and 8 over exisiting install of same (not reinstall) -can the modified WIM/ISO/USB be used to repair install windows rather than the original ISO/WIM or is better to use original ISO,WIM particularly with refresh -will refresh keep existing windows updates as well or remove them having to redownload them?

For this point, you can use the modified WIM/ISO/USB only if you did not remove system restore options and probably WinPE also. There may be more items you may need to keep.
The only way to find out is to test, as I dont think anyone else has asked this before.

Maybe try googling. Someone else may have asked the same question somewhere else, but I do not remember this question ever being asked here before...

more_horiz
Thanks yes will do - at moment still working on getting my updates ISO working to test it - I will post back if can be done

At moment too I am not removing any items as want all options available should need to reinstall to another PC, as in original ISO- I think that is safer to leave it intact as you also suggested.
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum