The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition  Empty[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition

more_horiz
I have trouble with size of install media after I integrate all new updates into Windows 8.1 image.
Size of install.wim file grow from 3.2 GB to 4.3GB

Does somebody have step by step tutorial how to create USB UEFI gpt boot disk (with rufus) when is install.wim >4GB.

How to split install.wim in WinReducer?

description[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition  EmptyRe: [SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition

more_horiz
hi,

i cant really open winreducer at the Moment, but i Thing ist at "ISO File Creator" and at "Save in wim" there should be an Option to split the wim file (you can choose how big the parts should be)

then you will have files with ending .swm instead of .wim

description[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition  EmptyRe: [SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition

more_horiz
Hi damir

As KrX stated, you're going to need to split the .wim file to below 4GB - this is because the USB UEFI option needs to format the USB stick as FAT32, which has a maximum file size limit of 4GB.  There are some people on the Internet suggesting you can use NTFS, but you'd have to search out their methods and give them a try.  WinReducer can also create a USB installation source so you might want to look into that option too.

So as far as I can tell, these steps should work if you want to use Rufus

1. Ask Winreducer to save to an ISO file with UEFI compatibility selected
[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition  Uefico11
   Once Winreducer has finished, close it and remember where your ISO file is.

2. Plug your USB stick in and open Rufus
3. Make your settings look like this and click on the iso button to load your ISO file  (next to the red dot in my picture)
[SOLVED] ISO size, reduce install.wim size >4GB, gpt partition  Rufus11
4. Click the start button and Rufus should create the USB installation source for you.

This next step is important because it determines whether your machine boots UEFI or normal MBR.
5. Reboot the machine into your BIOS to make sure UEFI boot options are enabled and that you can see your USB stick as UEFI.  Sorry, this is difficult to help you with because BIOS features are different between motherboards.  But it should be obvious.

6. Save any changes and boot from your USB stick.  One way to tell whether your are using UEFI is when you come to partition the HDD. MBR style partitioning only uses a single 'System Reserved' partion.  UEFI needs to create 3 extra partions, including SysReserved.

This all sounds a lot, but just have a go at it and come back to us if you are stuck at a particular point.

more_horiz
Thanks but not works

Inside ISO there install.wim file that has size 4.4 GB and Rufus reject to write that iso to USB.
I have to split install.wim to install.swm and install2.swm. I use Winreducer to create that two files [on above picture option (o) save in a WIM file].

My question how to create ISO image after I create two install.swm and install2.swm file and put it both in one ISO.
All action that brittech explain work if install.wim is < 4GB.
After option (o) save in a WIM file I have inside WORK/EXTRACT/ExtractedByWinReducer two files but I havent ISO which is input to rufus (like on above picture)

more_horiz
hi,

if you already have your .swm files you can use winreducer -> "Save in an ISO File"

select where you want to save your iso, Name it and lable it and click on SAVE. it should create your iso with your .swm files in it

more_horiz
I cant.
I have two files in ../WORK/EXTRACT/ExtractedByWinReducer/sources (install.swm and install2.swm)
1. Start WinReducer
2. Start -> Tools -> ISO
3. Select (o) save in an ISO file
4. Chose folder ../WORK/EXTRACT/ExtractedByWinReducer
5. Message 'This folder is incorrect'

If I go to 'Folder' I have to mount image and after thar I have one install.wim file that is greater than 4 GB (two files: install.swm and inatsll2.swm disapear). Again I am able to make two install.swm files but I cant make ISO which contains two install.swm and install2.swm files.

more_horiz
hmm that sounds like a "bug" for me, because normaly it should work.

i will move the Topic to the bug Forum, so winter can find it

MOVED

more_horiz
meanwhile maybe you can use Option 2 from this tutorial:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

more_horiz
Hello,

Nice finding KrX and damir !

Yes, I confirm the bug that prevent you to open a folder with swm files in the "TOOLS - ISO Creator - Save in an ISO file".

SOLVED IN v1.21 !
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum