The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... Empty[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions...

more_horiz
Just tried v1.16's - UPDATE : "OPEN - MOUNT" : Support up to 30 different Windows Editions.

But I am getting stuck at the extraction part.

The ISO I am trying is the July Updated 24In1 aka Windows 8.1 AIO 24in1 with Update x64 en-US Jul2014 - by Murphy78.

Getting the following error.

[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... Winred10

That stops WinReducer extraction but since it extracted just about everything from the ISO I tried to open the extracted folder.  This is after restarting WinReducer.

Then I get the same error...

[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... Winred11

I know this might be caused by a 7-zip x86 vs x64 bug but I've never had problems with the default 7-zip when extracting an x64 image.  Only on the 24In1's.

There are no errors in the log so not sure what's the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.  But I might have to manually extract it before continuing.

description[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... EmptyStill no go...

more_horiz
Update:  So after searching around I tried the following options with same negative results...

I moved & shorten the name of the ISO into the ISO folder within the WORK folder.  Result was same error.

Then I also replaced the 32-bit 7-Zip files in the HOME/SOFTWARE folder with 64-bit files.  Result was same error.

Then I installed 64-bit 7-Zip & did a test of he ISO.  No problems found.

Then I extracted the ISO in the WORK/EXTRACTED/ExtractedByWinReducer folder. Result was the same error.

Then I thought maybe some of the file names where to long so I extracted the ISO to C:\- to give it the most characters for the file names & structure.  Same error.

I also tried by Mounting the ISO on to Windows 8.1 built in Mounting option.  Same error.

Forgot to mention I am using a WinReducer edited Windows 8.1 Pro installed on VMWare Player to mod and test WinReducer & ISO's.

I am out of ideas right now.  There must be something in the 24In1 structure or files that WinReducer is not compatible with but have no idea what it can be.

description[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... Empty24In1 ISO Structure...

more_horiz
Here is the structure of the ISO mounted on DAEMON Lite.

24In1 ISO Structure

Hope this helps figure out the problem.

description[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... EmptyRe: [SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions...

more_horiz
Hello,

Yes, the ISO structure helps a lot to understand why this didn't work : the ISO contains "install.swm" files instead of one "install.wim" ... It's not a big deal, because I just need to update WinReducer 8.1 to support that kind of files !

The "*.swm" format is used to split the install.wim files !

I will update it in v1.17 (should be released on 24 August 2014).

Best Regards.

winterstorm2050

description[SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions... EmptyRe: [SOLVED] Support up to 30 different Windows Editions...

more_horiz
Just to confirm that I've updated WinReducer 8.1 to support swm files !

It will automatically remove all other editions except the one you choose in the swm file. This will save more space on your ISO. Because swm files are by definition big files, so I thought that's a good idea to do like this but if you need another way just tell me !

Regards.

winterstorm2050

more_horiz
winterstorm2050 wrote:
Hello,

Yes, the ISO structure helps a lot to understand why this didn't work : the ISO contains "install.swm" files instead of one "install.wim" ... It's not a big deal, because I just need to update WinReducer 8.1 to support that kind of files !

The "*.swm" format is used to split the install.wim files !

I will update it in v1.17 (should be released on 24 August 2014).

Best Regards.

winterstorm2050

Great, glad it was a quick fix.  Got this response from Murphy78 when I ask about possible issues...

Murphy78 wrote:
You would have to export the split-wim to a normal wim before working on something like that.
example:

for /l %x in (1,1,24) do (dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:c:\win81\sources\install.swm /swmfile:c:\win81\sources\install*.swm /sourceindex:%x /destinationimagefile:c:\win81\sources\install.wim)

So both of you got to the bottom of it pretty quick.  elephant 

winterstorm2050 wrote:
Just to confirm that I've updated WinReducer 8.1 to support swm files !

It will automatically remove all other editions except the one you choose in the swm file. This will save more space on your ISO. Because swm files are by definition big files, so I thought that's a good idea to do like this but if you need another way just tell me !

Regards.

winterstorm2050

For me saving space on an ISO is usually 4th or 5th on my list.  The reason being that I just use some 8-16GB USB drives for installation.  Don't burn anything anymore if I can help it.  The first & for most goal is to have install ISO's that are stable & that have all the SSD & other security/privacy options cooked in @ installation.  Which WinReducer is brilliant at for us non DISM or WAIK(ADK) techies.

Being able to pull an edition from a 24in1 is great.  I myself mostly plan to use the WMC edition unless force to use a different one.  So it would fulfill my immediate needs.  But if we could actually have the option to pick between them with up to 30 possible editions it would give us full control over the AIO.  Not sure how doable that would be but if we have the space & the system that could handle it.  It would make sense to have those options.

For example Murphy's 24In1 is actually a 12 edition ISO. But since it has the option for KMS-Activated installs it doubles the indexes to 24.  Not sure we could keep all 24 indexes including KMS-Activation and just add or take way stuff from all editions one chooses to keep.

You can get a better feel for what the AIO contains from its ReadMe file:

Murphy78's AIO ReadMe

Murphy78's 24In1 uses a EI.CFG file that from what I've read is not compatible with unattended.xml so not sure how that would work out.  If I am not mistaken WinReducer removes this file when an Unattended.xml is created right now since it's not part of the last modded ISO I made.

Also not sure how being able to work on more then one edition from a AIO would affect the ISO/WIM/USB creation side @ the end of modding to.  And also he updates that the AIO already brings cooked in too.

Let me know what you think might be possible & what might not be possible.  But from your earliest post WinReducer v1.17 will be able to handle at least one edition from the AIO.  I do wonder if will keep the updates the AIO has cooked in too ???

Will send you a PM with more details Murphy78 has shared about his 24In1...

more_horiz
Hello,

Very interesting, thank you very much !

Y314K wrote:

Let me know what you think might be possible & what might not be possible.  But from your earliest post WinReducer v1.17 will be able to handle at least one edition from the AIO.  I do wonder if will keep the updates the AIO has cooked in too ???

Yes, this is what I wanted to know, so I modified what I've done to support AiO, and it will keep all Editions !

I've tried different solution to achieve the task, and it seems that the best choice was to use an intermediate install.wim creation during the mount process. I don't want to to debate on what is the best solution, I just want to explain how it will work : it's pretty much the same idea of Murphy78 but I'm using ImageX :

--> A unique "install.wim" will be created, so if you want to remove all other Windows Editions on it, you need to check "Remove - Optimizations - ISO - Windows - Delete Unneeded Editions"

--> To recreate your "swm" structure, for your ISO, you need to use the WinReducer split tool available in the "ISO Creation - Save in a WIM File"

I do not have such AiO ISO to try, but I've created swm files from my ISO using WInReducer, and it seemed to work.

Thank you very much my friend !

more_horiz
Been testing the AIO modding & trying to understand more about the options.  Will post later for detail info.  Thanks...

more_horiz
Hi,

Just an info, about the fact that WinReducer 8.1 - v1.21 will support up to 50 Editions ! Wink
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum