The WinReducer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WinReducer ForumLog in

FORUM

description[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! Empty[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?!

more_horiz
I notice that there are two places in the filesystem for the "Windows Defender".
It is placed under "All Users"...

[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! <a href=[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! Defend10" />

...and it is placed under "ProgramData"

[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! <a href=[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! Defend11" />

Does anyone know if this is necessary ?
Maybe the files under "All Users" are only copied from the "ProgramData" directory ?

description[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?!

more_horiz
Elementary, my dear Watson, haha. They are symlinks (folders that are in multiple locations while still being just one folder). You can see this happening in the WinSxS folder. Half of the crap that folder contains is just symlinks to other folders (the NTFS can't recognize symlinks as for what they are, it treats them like separate folders. That's why the WinSxS has that big ass size).

Don't remove ANY of the symlinks. They are used for a lot of things. You can remove the ones that are empty though.

description[ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?! EmptyRe: [ANSWERED] "Windows Defender" at two places ?!

more_horiz
Thank you for the info.
I didn't proof if they are symlinks Neutral 
My fault

more_horiz
Hey guys,

Just an information, the folder is not present in the install.wim file before installation .... Wink
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum